First Republic is an ultra-high-touch bank that provides extraordinary client service. We believe that one-on-one interactions build lasting relationships. We move quickly to serve our clients’ needs so that their financial transactions are handled with ease and efficiency. Client trust and security are paramount in our line of business. Ultimately, our goal is unsurpassed client satisfaction which will lead to personal referrals – our number one source of new business.
Putting you first
As an intern, you will gain hands-on experience at a high-growth company that values its people. You’ll earn a competitive starting wage while absorbing a culture that emphasizes collaboration, entrepreneurial thinking and quick decision-making. Start doing the best work of your life here.
The Business Banking Intern will primarily assist the Portfolio Quality Analysts, Credit Analysts and Business Bankers with loan and deposit matters. The ideal candidate will have a basic understanding of financial services, attention to detail, the ability to work under tight deadlines and the ability to work within the team dynamic.
If you only meet some of the requirements for this role, that's okay. We value a diverse range of backgrounds and ideas and believe this is fundamental for our future success. So, if you have the curiosity to learn and the willingness to teach what you know, we'd love to hear from you.
What you’ll do as a Business Banking Intern:
- Build relationships with and learn from Business Bankers, Analysts and supporting teammates who help make First Republic one of the most highly respected Banks in the Country.
- Attain foundational skill-sets to begin a career within the financial industry: For example, (1) gain experience in underwriting credit facilities by applying finance, accounting and/or economics tools to the underwriting process; (2) observe how teammates cultivate client and professional relationships utilizing both written and verbal skills; and (3) problem-solve and effectively communicate with peers and management in matters relating to management of the existing portfolio, marketing and prospecting, and process improvement initiatives.
- Assist in supporting the Analyst and the team in closing new deals, which includes (1) Researching new borrowers, owners, and management teams (2) Ensuring that new borrowers are in good standing with the state; and (3) Assuring that First Republic is the borrower’s preferred bank.
- Maintain existing loans and track financial covenants (1) review borrowers’ financial statements; (2) test covenant compliance; and (3) assure that outstanding advances are repaid by their maturity dates.
- Assist with client queries and loan servicing matters related to interest charges, account statements and compliance items.
- Role model First Republic’s fast-paced and inclusive culture with timely responses to requests, collaboration with the team.
- Assist with financial reporting covenant monitoring which includes scanning/saving financial information, loading files into OnBase, organizing files on the local shared drives.
- Assist with research/audit requests by locating and reporting files and other financial information.
- Ordering due diligence items such as Articles of Incorporation, Certificates of Good Standings, Credit Reports, Uniform Commercial Code (“UCC”) searches.
- Participate in internal credit/deal structuring meetings and develop an understanding of the Business Banking deal making process.
- Occasionally join Business Bankers and Credit Analysts on joint client calls and property inspections.
- Assist with Google searches and other research which will be utilized in arriving at credit decisions.
- Liaison with Marketing Department and assist Business Bankers with maintaining invitation lists for client events, preparing mailers to clients/prospects, identifying and matching client groups with various marketing campaigns and promotions.
- Assist the Business Banking Director of Operations on ad hoc projects related to process improvement, technological advancements and ongoing sales support.
- Become proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Adobe) as well as other systems including
- OnBase, CLO, LoanVantage, PowerLender, Moody’s.
- Assist with the monitoring of the loan maturity and loan delinquency reports and alerting Business
- Bankers and Credit Analysts of upcoming maturities
- Develop the ability to eventually spread business financial statements, personal financial statements, and individual tax returns.
- Local Manager may require additional duties unique to a Team’s Geography, industry niche and other responsibilities which best utilize the candidate’s skill sets.
- Participate in the development of department policies and/or procedures and assist with client specific projects as assigned.
- Champion independently or in collaboration with other Interns a project that will be assigned by Business Banking.
- Responsibilities include the following: 1) Adhering to and complying with the applicable, federal and state laws, regulations and guidance, including those related to Anti-money laundering (i.e. Bank Secrecy Act, US PATRIOT Act, etc.) 2) Adhering to Bank policies and procedures, 3) Completing required training, 4) Identifying and reporting suspicious activity to the AML Officer, and 5) Knowing and verifying the identity of any customer(s) that enters into a relationship with the Bank.
You could be a great fit if you have:
- Undergraduates Required
- Minimum GPA of ~3.3
- Financial Accounting class required (Business or Economics degree candidates preferred)
- Leadership experience preferred: volunteer, clubs, team sports, extra-curricular activities, special projects, etc.
- Must be able to review and analyze data reports and manuals; must be computer proficient.
- Must be able to communicate effectively via telephone and in person.
- Must be able to travel as position requires.
Own your work and your career — apply now
Are you willing to go the extra mile because you love what you do and how you can contribute as a team? Do you want the freedom to grow and the opportunity to take charge of your own career? If so, then come join us.
We want hard working team players. You’ll have the independence to learn, lead and drive change. A culture of extraordinary service, empowerment and stability — that’s the First Republic way.
We believe that a diverse range of backgrounds and ideas has and will continue to be fundamental to the future success of First Republic.
If you are curious to learn more about this opportunity, we'd love to hear from you.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. The Company is an equal opportunity employer. In this regard, the Company makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities in order to enable them to perform all essential job functions, unless doing so creates an undue hardship.
First Republic is subject to federal laws that restrict the employment of individuals with certain types of criminal histories, including FDIA Section 19 and FINRA. To the extent not inconsistent with our obligations under those federal laws and regulations, First Republic will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles and San Francisco ban-the-box laws.
For New York City-based roles: Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that, effective December 27, 2021, all private sector employers in New York City will be required to ensure that their employees are vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend work in the office. Reasonable Medical or Religious Accommodations may be requested if applicable to you. Please view New York’s Guidance on Accommodations for Workers for more information.
Read Full Description