SWVA, Inc. is proud to be part of the Steel Dynamics, Inc. family of companies. Steel Dynamics, Inc., based in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is one of the largest and most diversified steel producers in the United States.
SWVA, Inc. operates a steel mill located in Huntington, WV, consisting of a Melt Shop (with two electric arc furnaces and continuous caster); two rolling mills; and a fabrication department. We produce high quality, hot-rolled carbon steel products used in a variety of end markets, such as construction, heavy equipment, manufacturing, and energy.
As we continue to grow, we have a need for the Melt Shop Manager.
The Melt Shop Manager will be responsible for the overall performance of the Melt Shop Manager, including safety performance, customer satisfaction, productivity, and financial and environmental performance. The Melt Shop Manager will report to the Steel of West Virginia, Inc. General Manager.
- Lead the team’s effort to maintain a safe work place by establishing and enforcing safe operation practices
- Work with Quality representatives to maintain the total quality management system to exceed customer expectations for product quality
- Manage and provide direction for the daily operations of the Melt Shop, and steel scrap operations. Develop short- and long-term production goals and work with employees to identify opportunities to improve production performance beyond these goals
- Prepare, develop, and implement the Melt Shop’s business plan, including planning work with production scheduler and sales professionals to meet sales forecast, and establishment and enforcing of a budget to meet financial objectives
- Determine staffing levels and lead the effort to hire employees with the entrepreneurial spirit to allow the Melt Shop to succeed
- Be responsible for the training, coaching, development, and incentivizing employees to allow for their best possible performance
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and participate in the development and strategic plans for equipment, repairs, upgrades and capital projects
- Be a good steward of the environment and lead the effort to establish work practices which protect the environment
Read Full Description
- Industrious and autonomous thinker capable of having the day-to-day responsibility for the Melt Shop
- Demonstrated success in leading significant manufacturing operations
- Demonstrated strong safety and good housekeeping performance
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to lead others in a collective effort to a common goal
- A background doing hands on supervision in a heavy-manufacturing, continuous-production process
- Abilities and skillset to understand and improve the performance of large industrial equipment. Having mechanical or electrical engineering studies or a background working closely with maintenance would be very beneficial in this role
- Business background, including budgeting, strategic planning, purchasing and finance would be helpful
- Experience working in an EAF Melt Shop with continuous caster would be ideal.