Rockwell Automation is a global technology leader focused on helping the world’s manufacturers be more productive, sustainable, and agile. With more than 25,000 employees who make the world better every day, we know we have something special. Behind our customers - amazing companies that help feed the world, provide life-saving medicine on a global scale, and focus on clean water and green mobility - our people are energized problem solvers that take pride in how the work we do changes the world for the better.
We welcome all makers, forward thinkers, and problem solvers who are looking for a place to do their best work. And if that’s you we would love to have you join us!
The General Counsel, Employment Law provides business-oriented employment law related advice and support to Human Resources and business leadership. The role calls for a trusted advisor who understands the Company’s strategic initiatives and provides legal advice and support that assures compliance, facilitates growth, and mitigates risk. This position is the senior most expert on labor/employment law within the Company and requires strong collaboration and partnership across the human resources and legal functions globally. Additionally, this role is a strategic advisor and regularly works with the Chief Legal Officer.
- Act as a strategic partner to Human Resources.
- Provide proactive advice and support to all levels of the business on a wide range of employment law and employee relations issues.
- Collaborate with Human Resources to identify and support risk management and compliance activities related to employment law and provide advice and support on the development and Human Resources policies and procedures globally.
- Partner with Human Resources and other stakeholders across the Company and geographic boundaries to support and manage change, while balancing local and global perspectives in reaching decisions.
- Partner with Human Resources and Corporate Development on major transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and alliance relationships.
- Train internal clients on relevant employment law issues; communicate people related activities with legal and compliance implications to peers within Human Resources and the Office of General Counsel.
- Work with or lead interdisciplinary project teams, including other peers and functions within the Office of General Counsel and Human Resources.
- Defend employment related claims, including managing outside counsel and overseeing internal investigation and response to administrative complaints (including EEOC charges).
- Establish strategic plans and objectives for employment law practice area, and participate with other senior leaders to establish strategic plans and objectives for the business.
- Manage staffing, budgeting, litigation and expenses related to the Company’s employment law support needs.
- Drive continuous improvement activities impacting the effectiveness and efficiency of the employment law practice area globally.
- Law degree from a US accredited Law School or equivalent.
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- 12+ years of experience in a law firm or in-house experience; corporate in-house experience a plus.
- Ability to work outside normal working hours as part of a global team.
- Orientation toward business results; sufficient maturity, experience, leadership skills and business acumen to become a trusted advisor, thought leader and sounding board to the Human Resources and business leadership teams.
- Sound legal and business judgment; ability to assess risk and balance legal and business considerations.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communications skills, persuasive, responsive, accessible.
- Unwavering commitment to, and the ability to model, the standards of behavior set in the Company’s Code of Conduct.
- Strong work ethic, ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, projects, deadlines and stakeholder expectations simultaneously with a high sense of urgency.
- Act courageously by sharing viewpoints openly and directly with others, providing relevant and timely information and feedback, including a willingness to challenge leadership as required.
- Maintain a positive demeanor during periods of uncertainty, conflict, and stress.
- Ability to influence others on matters of significance, including senior leaders, and to obtain results through others within the Company in a respectful and productive way.
- Open mind and willingness to learn and promote new philosophies to foster a diverse and inclusive culture and support organizational transformation initiatives.
- Experience managing and improving processes and driving continuous improvement.
- Quantitative skills necessary to manage outside counsel services and track metrics on matters and costs.
- Ability to work on and resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways, where analysis of situations or data require in-depth knowledge of the Company and the evaluation of variable tangible and intangible factors.
- Ability to make strategic decisions with limited time, information, and resources.
- Ability to manage competing demands, accept criticism and constructive feedback, while being extremely adaptable and flexible.
- Values working in a team-oriented culture and building productive and stable working relationships across the organization at all levels.
- Actively pursues personal continuous learning in job-related technical and professional areas and knowledge of the Company and the industry.
- Some travel may be required.
This position is part of a job family. Experience will be the determining factor for position level and compensation.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our services team at +1 (844) 404-7247.
Read Full Description