At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
The Northwestern Mutual Law Department is seeking an experienced and agile securities attorney interested in joining a diverse, challenging, and fast-paced practice advising the Company on a wide range of private fund and associated registered investment adviser issues as the Company works to transform how clients experience financial security.
What's the role?:
This attorney will be a member of the Department’s Investment Products and Advisory Services Team and will primarily focus on supporting the securities law aspects of our institutional and retail private fund business and the affiliated registered investment adviser for those private funds. In this role, the attorney will work closely with our compliance professionals and other teams within the Law Department. This attorney will report to the VP-Investment Products and Advisory Services.
Examples of the type of work this attorney will engage in as a member of the Investment Products and Advisory Services Team, includes:
- Analyzing SEC rule proposals and adoptions and regulatory guidance applicable to private funds and their registered investment advisers, advising our business clients on requirements and risks, and serving on project teams to implement such rule-makings.
- Assisting in preparing regulatory filings on behalf of the registered investment adviser to such private funds, including Form ADV and Form PF, and regulatory filings applicable to such private funds, including Form D.
- Providing 1933 Act and 1940 Act securities law advice in connection with private fund formation and post-formation support, as part of a multi-disciplinary legal team.
- Developing as applicable securities law materials for quarterly registered investment adviser Board meetings and speaking publicly at such meetings on relevant securities law topics.
- Supporting the registered investment adviser’s committees (e.g., the proxy voting and brokerage and trading committees) by, among other things, advising on the appropriate committee structure, attending committee meetings and taking minutes.
- Onboarding sub-advisers for Northwestern Mutual’s General Account and related institutional investment accounts, including preparing non-disclosure agreements and investment management agreements.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Candidates must have at least six years of focused legal experience advising on the securities law aspects of private funds (e.g., private equity, private debt, private REITs and collateralized loan obligations) exempt under the Investment Company Act of 1940, their registered investment advisers under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and related regulations, such as registration exemptions under the Securities Act of 1933 and beneficial ownership reporting rules under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as well as preparing related regulatory filings. Experience with other securities, commodities and/or banking laws, including with respect to mutual funds, variable insurance products, derivatives, commodity pool operators, commodity trading advisors, registered broker-dealers, OCC regulated national banks, or U.S. Treasury international capital reporting is a plus.
- Experience with registered investment adviser Board governance with respect to private funds.
- Experience with negotiating and documenting sub-advisory agreements with other registered investment advisers.
- To qualify, this candidate must be able to analyze a variety of legal issues, synthesize complex information, and provide legal advice to business professionals throughout the enterprise.
- A candidate must have an exemplary academic record and a Juris Doctorate degree; note that a license to practice law in the State of Wisconsin or a commitment to become licensed within the first year of employment is required.
Desired personal attributes:
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, a highly analytical and curious mind, strong attention to detail, creative, comfortable dealing with ambiguity, of high integrity and ethical standards, and evidencing a positive demeanor.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and contribute efficiently in a team environment and across teams within and outside of the Law Department; exceptional partnership and relationship building skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously and to effectively prioritize multiple tasks at the same time.
- A keen problem-solving approach using sound legal reasoning and practical business judgment to identify and address risks and achieve results that balance benefits for all partners of the enterprise.
- The scope of this role may change over time to respond to business needs. The successful candidate will be flexible and adaptable in terms of general abilities and aspirations.
Information About Our Law Department:
- Of the Northwestern Mutual Law Department’s 115 members, approximately 75 are lawyers, having come to Northwestern Mutual from all around the country after having graduated from a multitude of law schools and undergraduate institutions and having practiced in a wide variety of settings.
- The balance of the Department consists of highly-skilled paralegals and research and administrative professionals who support significant aspects of the Department’s operations.
- Our Law Department (in every aspect of its operations, including the Law Department Leadership Team, the Department’s practicing lawyers and paralegals, and the Department’s professional administrative staff) is inclusive and diverse, comprising a rich mixture of people who come from a wide variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds and includes people of color and those who are openly gay or lesbian.
- The Northwestern Mutual Law Department provides the vast majority of legal services in nearly all fields directly to the Company, with only select utilization of outside counsel.
- There are nine main practice teams within the Law Department: Investment Products and Advisory Services; Digital and Enterprise Operations; Insurance Products and Operations; Corporate; Distribution; Litigation; Enterprise Governance; Securities Investments; and Real Estate Investments.
- Members of the Law Department have the opportunity to develop a thorough understanding of the Company’s business needs, and we are fully engaged in the execution of the Company’s business strategy. This allows us to provide counsel in an efficient manner and leads to greater career satisfaction for our attorneys, paralegals, and professional administrative staff.
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client’s interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you work or would be working in Colorado or outside of a Corporate location, please click here for information pertaining to compensation and benefits.