It’s Time to Unsmoke.
There is no question that the best choice for men and women who smoke is to quit cigarettes and nicotine altogether. But many people don’t. In any given year, about 9 out of 10 men and women who are already smoking will continue: those people deserve access to, and information about, better alternatives. That is why we’re building PMI’s future on smoke-free products and focusing our efforts in switching adults, who choose to continue smoking, to our smoke-free platforms.
In order to achieve this, we are focused on 6 strategic priorities:
- Developing a long-term product and ecosystem portfolio,
- Building societal support of RRP,
- Growing our RRP platforms to scale,
- Delivering product launch & customer service agility,
- Achieving cost and cash leadership, and
- Maintaining leadership in conventional cigarettes.
About Our Vision
We’ve built the world’s most successful cigarette company, with the world’s most popular and iconic brands. Now we’ve made a dramatic decision. We will be far more than a leading cigarette company. We’re building PMI’s future on smoke-free products that are a much better choice than cigarette smoking. Indeed, our vision – for all of us at PMI – is that these products will one day replace cigarettes.
Why are we doing this? Because we should … We understand the millions of men and women who smoke cigarettes. They are looking for less harmful, yet satisfying, alternatives to smoking. We will give them that choice. We have a commitment to our employees and our shareholders. We will fulfill that commitment by pursuing this long-term vision for success. Society expects us to act responsibly. And we are doing just that, by delivering a smoke-free future. … And because we now can. Success in the cigarette business gives us the resources to pursue our ambitious vision. Thanks to the imagination and perseverance of thousands of people at PMI, we have developed breakthrough products that are smoke-free and enjoyable.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorized the marketing of our flagship electronically heated tobacco system, IQOS, as a modified risk tobacco product (MRTP), which represents a historic opportunity for public health. In doing so, the agency found that issuing an exposure modification order for the IQOS Tobacco Heating System (THS) is appropriate to promote the public health, and is expected to benefit the health of the population as a whole.
This decision demonstrates that IQOS is fundamentally different from combustible cigarettes, and a better choice for adults who would otherwise continue smoking. It follows a review of the extensive scientific evidence package PMI submitted to the FDA in December 2016 to support its MRTP applications.
The FDA’s action authorizes the marketing of IQOS in the USA with the following information:
- The IQOS system heats tobacco but does not burn it.
- This significantly reduces the production of harmful and potentially harmful chemicals.
- Scientific studies have shown that switching completely from conventional cigarettes to the IQOS system significantly reduces your body’s exposure to harmful or potentially harmful chemicals.
In April 2019, the agency authorized IQOS for sale in the U.S. through issuance of premarket tobacco product application marketing orders, that deemed marketing the product to be appropriate for the protection of the public health. Now, the FDA has concluded issuing an IQOS exposure modification order is appropriate to promote the public health, and is expected to benefit the health of the population as a whole, taking into account both users and nonusers of tobacco products. Notably, the FDA’s issuance of an exposure modification MRTP order does not mean IQOS is FDA-approved. FDA does not ‘approve’ tobacco products. Further, the FDA’s decision does not mean IQOS is risk-free.
The FDA’s decision is consistent with earlier conclusions of other leading regulatory and scientific bodies, including in the U.K., Germany, and the Netherlands, which have found that the product emits lower levels of harmful toxicants. Furthermore, the FDA’s MRTP authorization shows that IQOS is a fundamentally different product than combustible cigarettes, and must be regulated differently, as the FDA has recognized.
As of March 31, 2020, PMI estimates that approximately 10.6 million adult smokers around the world have already stopped smoking and switched to IQOS. We believe that this decision can help to further accelerate the transition of U.S. adults away from cigarettes. We, along with our licensee Altria, are committed to guarding against unintended use and fully support FDA’s focus on protecting youth.
Attorney who works with affiliate, regional and OC legal & compliance teams and PM – U. S. Market management to provide quality, business-centric and timely legal analysis, advice, representation, negotiation and documentation in a wide variety of PM U. S. business activities and initiatives to enable PMI’s Smoke Free Future vision in the U. S. coherently with relevant laws and regulations and PMI positions. He/she will also support the Vice President & Associate General Counsel – North America to implement departmental practices and objectives in the U. S. The Counsel – U. S. will be effective in exercising seasoned judgment and providing guidance to business and functional leaders across the organization. Reporting to the Vice President & Associate General Counsel – North America, the Counsel-U. S. will require a person of vision, integrity, commitment, maturity, and judgment. Responsibilities will include: analyzing complex issues and develop policies, solutions and responses as the need arises; representing PMI and effectively building and maintaining strong external and internal relations; providing guidance and recommendation of policy and positions to the regional management; with other members of the legal department, providing trusted business partnership and counseling on strategic and major business initiatives and decisions of importance to the Company; demonstrating an inclusive, consultative and thoughtful approach to achieving cross-functional alignment on issues internally; ensuring that legal services provided are cost-effective, practical, strategic, and consistent with the company’s philosophies while creating an environment of collaboration with business partners to help drive continual process and policy improvements; contributing to and ensuring delivery on Law Department business goals and the overall business plan of the company, and ensuring that law department implements leading practices and operates at the highest ethical standards.
- Partners with global subject matter experts, regional legal teams, the regional legal leadership and business colleagues to create proactive strategies designed to avoid or minimize exposure to legal liability.
- Helps business colleagues understand the risks and consequences of the given situation. Effectively communicates the consequences and develops alternatives to manage identified risks.
- Efficiently gathers and distills relevant information from appropriate sources, identifies and analyzes legal issues and knows when to escalate them
- Drafts key documents, presents clear recommendations and ensures legal compliance as it relates to the noted areas of law.
- In coordination with External Affairs and with the supervision of the regional legal leadership, represents the company’s position before federal, state and local government agencies regarding the noted areas of law and support PMI’s harm reduction advocacy.
- Responsible for corporate registration and reporting under the Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995 and administering PMI’s 14C anticorruption policy.
- Stays current with legal developments, best practices and benchmarks in the noted areas of law and assists business colleagues in implementing policies and procedures in response thereto.
- Participate in project teams, ensuring that their decisions and recommendations protect the legal interests of the affiliate and PMI and execute decisions to achieve objectives on a timely basis
- Maintains a culture with a high degree of emphasis on dignity, respect, and inclusion.
- Subject to prevailing business needs and regional legal leadership’s directions, acts as the first point of/primary legal contact for business colleagues and assumes the role of the market’s subject matter expert in certain legal, governance, regulatory, risk and policy areas.
- Possess strong transactional skills as evidenced by the need to review, draft, revise and negotiate a wide range of agreements with customers, vendors, partners, distributors, resellers and other third parties, including software and intellectual property licenses, nondisclosure agreements, technology agreements, master services agreements, distributor, professional services, cloud, and other complex commercial agreements.
- Working knowledge of PBO-related practices to support PMI’s PBO model
- Working knowledge of data privacy regulations (GDPR, CCPA, etc.) is a plus
- Monitor legislative and regulatory developments in the region, which may materially affect the company.
- Understands business objectives, practices yellow-zone decision making, thinks through the practical implications, and anticipates future business and legal needs
- Applies legal knowledge clearly and precisely, effectively communicating thoughtful and practical solutions
- Maintains effective working relationships with outside counsel.
- Acts as a team player and role model for the legal function, encouraging collaboration and standards of excellence. Provide day to day legal advice and oversight to a variety of constituents including management, customers, and governmental officials on a range regulatory matters.
- Understand and be able to translate into “plain language” the legal ramifications of varied legal and regulatory risks.
- Strategic and consumer-centric mindset, contributing effectively as a key member of market leadership team and advising regional / market management and staff on legal, compliance and regulatory aspects of regional /market operations, including compliance with laws and regulation.
- Strong mastery of PMI standards and perspectives, relevant laws and regulations and the business to enable the delivery of innovative solutions through skillful yellow-zone decision making, readying the necessary defenses and documenting decision-making as necessary.
- Ability to synthesize andcrystalize legal advice to ensure that it is persuasive, well understood and memorable.
- Holistic and analytical review, drafting and negotiating capability anchored upon a deep mastery of the business, relevant laws and PMI positions to protect PMI’s interests in a wide range of agreements with customers, vendors, partners, distributors, resellers and other third parties.
- Establishes and maintains effective and cost-efficient working relationships with outside counsel.
- Demonstrates superior leadership skills reflected by a team-oriented style and a passion for collaboration, motivating and inspiring the team to deliver high quality legal advice
- Collaborative approach to ensure seamless collaboration across PMI, the RHQ and the markets to achieve company and department-wide objectives
- Quickly grasp key drivers of the business and industry and quickly become immersed in the most important business issues facing the company.
- Demonstrate strategic, innovative, creative and inquisitive frame of mind, with strong business acumen and judgment.
- Speak fluently in lay terms to a range of audiences.
Executing for Results
- Demonstrate the detail orientation and the technical, planning and project management skills to ensure flawless execution.
- Take initiative and operate with a sense of urgency, decisiveness and responsiveness.
- Strong work ethic with ability to handle a fast-paced vigorous schedule.
- Able to solve problems and offer creative solutions.
- Anticipate and proactively address emerging issues.
- Make nuanced recommendations and business decisions based on facts and the culture of the constituents served.
- Marshall the appropriate level and mix of resources as required by circumstances.
- Demonstrate self-motivation and initiative to prioritize work and otherwise perform the job with minimal supervision.
- Hold oneself to the highest standards of accountability.
- Able to operate in a dynamic, high stress environment with a demonstrated ability to handle crisis.
- High energy and drive, a charismatic and positive management style with a passion for driving results, and unquestioned integrity.
Building Relationships and Using Influence
- Demonstrate outstanding communications skills, including presenting to, advising and educating executive leadership and boards of directors as well as engaging with external stakeholders.
- Able to convey complicated topics and issues in a straightforward and concise manner, and to tailor communication style to different audiences.
- Maintain established relationships with external legal resources characterized by credibility, respect, trust.
- Develop and maintain a strong network of relationships inside and outside the organization to support the objectives of the Board, CEO, and the business.
- Demonstrate integrity and commitment to the highest ethical standards and personal values.
Knowledge and experience desired to undertake this role
- Juris doctor and admitted to the bar in the District of Columbia or a reciprocal state, or with the ability to transfer into the bar in the District of Columbia.
- At least 5 years of experience with a demonstrated in-depth understanding of corporate legal matters. Both in house and major law firm experience preferred.
- Knowledge concerning FDA regulation of pharmaceutical products, as well as pharmaceutical industry matters preferred.
- Previous experience working on complex transactional matters preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, handle multiple, conflicting priorities while managing a substantial workload and client expectations.
- Superior knowledge of the US government and multi-lateral agency policy environment and decision-making processes.
- Demonstrated understanding of how government officials develop and implement policy, with an ability to analyze government policy/legislation and advocate corporate positions before senior policy makers, congressional staff and the administration.
- Experience of working successfully in a highly results-oriented and performance-driven environment with a focus on excellence.
- Robust interpersonal, networking, public speaking, and writing skills, with the confidence and credibility to act quickly, communicate effectively with diplomacy and civility, and command respect of both internal and external audiences.
- Proven ability to think strategically and exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to oversee complex projects and lead them to successful completion in an organized, efficient, and effective manner.
- Ability to lead and work in a multi-disciplinary setting to achieve consensus.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain an appropriate perspective regardless of the delicacy or pressure of a situation.
- Ability to travel as necessary.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and preserve the integrity of information and processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to handle company confidential information and data requiring the highest degree of attention to preserve confidentiality.
- Must be able to operate in a dynamic, high stress environment with a demonstrated ability to handle crisis.
- High energy and drive, a charismatic and positive management style with a passion for driving results, and unquestioned integrity.
- Strong organizational skills reflected by motivation toward planning, and communicating with high performance teams in a dynamic environment.
- Proven ability to work independently and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong project management and follow-up skills.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements
- Normal office environment for a mission driven, high impact team. Position requires a passionate, motivated, driven individual with a proven ability to get the job accomplished.