Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date May 4, 2016
Position Title Associate Vice President for Treasury Management
Vacancy # V-1154
Department Treasury and Finance
Division Treasury And Finance
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Under the direction of the Vice President for Finance & Treasurer, and as a senior member of the Finance Division, the AVP is responsible for the University's treasury functions: debt management, cash management, investment management, and risk management; within a framework of sound internal controls and applicable best practices. The AVP is the relationship manager for various outside service providers, including banks, advisors, custodians, insurance brokers and carriers, and other vendors and public entities. The AVP serves as the compliance officer for the Finance and Treasury Division, participates in University-wide risk management and compliance matters, and manages the University's insurance program in collaboration with legal counsel and other departments as appropriate.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assists in shaping the investment policy for the University's short-term cash portfolio, ensuring ongoing compliance with internal and external requirements and policies, and monitors and reports on performance versus agreed upon benchmarks. • Monitors cash balances on an ongoing basis to ensure proper funding, optimal investment return, and integration with capital plan. o Supervises staff responsible for bank reconciliations and banking services, PCI compliance, unclaimed property (escheatment), capital project funding, and other related processes. o Works closely with the Controller's Office staff regarding cash flow needs and funding.
• Assists in the structuring of transactions for new-money borrowings and refinancings, and ensures proper stewardship of all outstanding debt.
o Collaborates with MSU budget office and facilities department to evaluate capital financing needs. o Evaluates, with the University's external advisor, the optimal structure for borrowings and opportunities for minimizing the cost of capital. o Leads the process for debt-related transactions, beginning with obtaining required approvals, through development of documents, data, analyses, and certifications necessary for execution. Serves as the principal point of contact with the New Jersey Educational Financing Authority. o Manages relationships with credit rating agencies, providing pertinent data and all other information for periodic ratings and disclosures. o Manages the process of documenting bond-eligible capital expenses, obtaining reimbursement from the bond trustee, and monitoring/reporting on the draw-downs for all outstanding issues. o Estimates annual and multi-year forecasts/estimates of debt service payments, and ensures appropriate recording of actual payments in the University's financial system. o Manages post-issuance compliance matters related to tax exempt debt, including applicable IRS guidelines and University policies with regard to private business uses, continuing disclosure agreements, and other documents and process in connection with the University's debt program. o Ensures proper record-keeping for all documents related to the University's debt program.
• Helps determine the need for new or continuing services of investment managers, custodians, banking services, advisors, and other third party service providers; helps shape RFQs and RFPs to procure such services and evaluate proposals; and serves as the relationship manager for selected providers. • Serves as the University's risk management officer: o Determines, in collaboration with legal counsel and others, the lines of insurance coverage that are required or appropriate, and the terms of such policies (limits, deductibles, exclusions, etc.) o Acts as point of contact with the risk manager for the NJ State College & University consortium o Assists in procuring insurance coverages in accordance with University requirements and best practices. o Coordinates new or ongoing matters that arise with regard to losses, claims, and resolutions.
• Manages tax, reporting, and compliance process related to Non-Resident Aliens (NRA), and tax filings for foreign nationals; including evaluation of payments for tax withholding, withholding status in accordance with tax treaties, issuance of form 1042-S and 1040s as required. Reviews quarterly the updates and reconciliation of documents for tax filings, and directs research on new NRA regulations to determine the impact on University obligations or departmental processes. • Serves as the compliance officer/coordinator for the Finance & Treasury division, by remaining current regarding external requirements and best practices, and works with staff Division-wide to educate, help design or re-design processes as appropriate, and evaluate results. Assists the VP & Treasurer with review of internal/external audits and implementation of action plans. • Manages financial transactions and accounting for the University's public-private partnerships (housing and energy plant); and the relationship with the ice arena and baseball stadium including preparation of annual maintenance agreements, board waivers, and payments and receipts in accordance with existing agreements. • Collaborates with other Finance Division and University leaders - including the AVP Finance, the University Controller, VP for Facilities, Director of Internal Audit, and the Executive Director of Budget and Planning - to help support their functions as appropriate. • Assists in the development of the Finance & Treasury annual departmental budget. • Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
• A bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college, preferably in business, finance, or accounting. • MBA and/or CPA is preferred. • At least 8-10 years of related financial management experience, with hands-on expertise in cash and debt management within a comparably complex organization, preferably in the higher education, public, or not-for-profit sector. • Sound knowledge of accounting practices applicable to the setting, and ability to work effectively at the intersections of the University's treasury, accounting, and budgeting functions. • Strong understanding of the principles of internal controls, and experience incorporating sound control practices into operational procedures and processes. • At least five (5) years of experience in leading, supervising, mentoring, and evaluating staff members. • Excellent personal computing skills, especially Excel. Knowledge of ERP systems such as PeopleSoft financials is a plus. • Experience in selecting, contracting with, and managing multiple third-party service providers. • Strong professional presence, and enthusiasm for partnering effectively and positively with multiple constituencies within and outside the University. • A collaborative approach to problem solving. • Superior analytical and quantitative skills, ability to effectively communicate and present work product with colleagues and senior members of management.
Salary Range Commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter and resume to (include vacancy # if above)
*Please note when submitting a cover letter, resume, and references in the apply link, you will need to combine the documents into one (1) single Word or PDF.* https:// jobs-montclairedu.icims.com/jobs/1481/associate-vice-president-for-treasury-management/job
Apply By Open until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu .
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION
PI94751635Read Full Description