Job Code and Payroll Title
6104 Computational and Data Science Research Specialist III
The Data Scientist, Center for Digital Health Innovation (CDHI), will be responsible for obtaining, cleaning, and converting secure clinical datasets with Principal Investigator (PI) assistance; implementing machine learning algorithms iteratively and assessing their effectiveness; creating new de-identified datasets by extracting data from healthcare databases, safeguard large HIPAA protected data; assisting with publication of scientific papers and abstracts; and attending team meetings.
CENTER FOR DIGITAL HEALTH INNOVATION
The UCSF Center for Digital Health Innovation (CDHI) partners with leading researchers at UCSF to advance scientific innovation. CDHI, in partnership with GE Healthcare, is currently building a deep learning platform that will uncover new insights from structured and unstructured clinical data and utilize those insights to impact productivity and health outcomes at the front-line of care delivery. A primary goal for UCSF as an institution is to validate and get benefits from computing architectures that enable it to advance precision medicine and develop new knowledge and new knowledge networks. CDHI works to advance this goal by engaging in partnerships with large industry players such as GE Healthcare and Cisco in order to ultimately allow clinicians and investigators to access algorithms, tools, and apps developed on the new Intel deep learning platform. The Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging has extensive research and clinical operations I imaging informatics. Quantitative imaging, feature extraction in multiple diseases are a core focus of the department.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
Data Scientist, CDHI
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
• Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational / programming, or related area and three to five years of experience in administrative analysis or operations research; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Proficiency in computer programming, specifically Python and Matlab. Ability to independently develop and troubleshoot software. Familiarity with working in a Linux/Unix command shell environment (e.g. bash, tcsh), working with text editor (e.g. vi, emacs) and with using ssh
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Windows
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, preferably applied to data science and machine learning algorithms
• Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, team-based environment; project management and coordination skills; ability to prioritize tasks and meet multiple deadlines on concurrent projects
• Excellent verbal and written communications and presentation skills; excellent organizational
• skills; and excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively in a diverse team
• Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with patients, co-workers, & physicians
• Ability to interface with management on a regular basis
Note: Physical/health screening, fingerprinting and background check required. Effective March 13, 2017, all final candidate(s) for employment are required to undergo a background check.
• Master’s degree in biological science, data science computational/programming or related area
• Two to four years of experience writing computer code
• Proficiency in Python/Matalb with willingness to learn R and SQL
• Experience with Deep Learning algorithms and frameworks such as TensorFlow and Caffe
• Demonstrated application in the field of Health/Medicine data, at Very Large scale
• Demonstrated proficiency with medical terminology
• Data management expertise, including data quality from structured relational databases. Experience with SQL
• Experience with implementing deep learning algorithm in Tensorflow and Caffee
• Experience in computer vision or medical imaging
• Statistical programming experience in R
• Experience in Text Analysis and Natural Language Processing
• Experience in Scientific Writing (journal papers/conference Abstracts)
Center for Digital Health Innovation
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.