Being part of RDS Research and located in Boston, Massachusetts, Liat Research and Early Development (ReD) team contributes to and focuses efforts on R&D activities to develop multiple assays on cobas® Liat® System as aligned with business decisions. ReD drives an optimized Liat research and development program that aims to deliver both prototype assay reagents and scripts at the time of transfer to Development. The team is also involved in Liat Foundational Research which aims to improve the cobas® Liat® platform to better fulfill customer and business requirements.
Performs research and/or development in collaboration with others on projects working with cloning, fermentation, protein expression and purification. Participates in activities such as RNA isolation, cDNA library construction, library amplification, genomic DNA isolation, random shotgun cloning, polymerase chain reaction, and other standard molecular Biology/Molecular Biology techniques. May assist in transcription profiling and array-based technologies such as probe generation and hybridization. Uses sequence analysis tools and library normalization and subtraction protocols as well as RNA isolation. Also prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses.
- Conceives, plans and conducts advanced independent Research/Development experiments from project inception through product launch and field support, defining project milestones and applying advanced scientific knowledge to complete projects. Designs experiments to test hypothesis related to project outcomes, and analyzes and interprets data/results. Recommends new or creative approaches, and/or expansion or curtailment of investigations based on experimental data or new scientific information arising from area of responsibility. Participates in project planning, process updates, and experimental design. Assumes responsibility for timely completion of projects, ensuring activities are consistent with project critical path and responding appropriately to changing priorities. Ensures technical activities under delegated supervision are conducted within internal and external guidelines and regulations. Interacts with other departments to further project goals.
- Accurately and consistently records experimental methods, materials and results in electronic laboratory notebooks. Analyzes data, evaluates results, forms conclusions, and determines future experiments.
- Presents findings or comprehensive project status reviews at internal seminars/meetings. Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce reports and documents. Prepares summaries, internal reports, presentations, manuscripts, etc.
- Serves as an expert resource to other departments (e.g., Manufacturing/Operations, Quality, Marketing, Regulatory Affairs, Clinical Studies, and International Technical Services), provides timely response and follow-ups. Participates in the expeditious transfer of products and technologies by providing scientific knowledge and assistance. Provides technical advice/guidance to junior scientific staff, and serves as a role model.
- May manage a project budget, but generally budget oversight belongs to a higher level manager.
- Works on diverse problems requiring significant analysis and evaluation of intangible variables; may refer to established precedents and policies.
- May represent RMD as primary contact on projects.
- Interacts with senior personnel from other RMD departments or Roche companies on significant matters oftenrequiring coordination between departments/organizations.
- May lead project teams to solve business problems of moderate size risk and complexity.
- Positions with people management responsibility have full HR responsibility for direct and indirect reports which includes hiring/firing decisions, interviewing, selections, performance feedback, discipline, pay decisions and handling employee grievances/complaints.
- Bachelors in Biological/Life Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry or related field; Master's Degree or PhD are preferred
- 7 years relevant industry experience
- Experience in assay optimization, experimental design, versatile laboratory practice, data analysis, and data and concept presentation.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability and need an accommodation in connection with the on-line application process, please email us at US.Accommodation@roche.com.