The UI Heart and Vascular Center is seeking a full-time (100%) Staff Nurse to provide direct nursing care to patients undergoing Electrophysiology (EP) procedures and ensure open and effective channels of communication with patients, family/caregivers, and all health care team members involved in the pre/intra/post-care of EP patients. Procedures include (but are not limited to): RF ablations, cryoablations, system extraction, and cardiac device implants.
Qualified candidates may be eligible for a minimum sign-on incentive of $5,000 based on years of experience.
Duties to include:
- Provide pre/intra/post procedure nursing care (assessment, monitoring, intervention and education) related to diagnostic and interventional procedures including (but not limited to) EP studies, ablations, pacemaker insertions, ICD insertions, bi-ventricular pacing, and lead extractions.
- Monitor, scrub, or circulate as required. Transport patient to/from pre-post recovery and/or inpatient unit. Administer intravenous and oral medications to patients.
- Manage patients under procedural sedation.
- Assist in the collection of arterial and venous blood samples and respiratory gases.
- Actively monitor patient during cardiac studies (vitals, etc.). Participate in life-saving measures such as defibrillation and cardiopulmonary resuscitation as needed.
- Obtain/record hemodynamic, electrical, and angiographic data using hemodynamic and electrical amplifiers and digital and line fluoroscopic equipment.
- Prep patient and equipment for EP procedures (including but not limited to: site entry, draping, arrangement of sterilized instruments/catheters, calibrating/setting up pressure transducers and tubing). Troubleshoot equipment issues and/or initiate repair.
- Actively coordinate in patient/lab scheduling to help ensure procedural success; patient comfort, safety and satisfaction; maximum lab/provider efficiency. Assist with patient short-stay visits as needed.
- Ensure/monitor adequate levels of all supplies are available in procedural room(s). Stock as needed.
- Demonstrate competency in the following: conscious sedition administration, 3D mapping, EP recording, pacing stimulation, ablation generators, and recognition of cardiac rhythms.
- Apply nursing theory to the assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and evaluation of patient responses to health, illness, and procedure.
- Positively collaborate and coordinate the continuum of care within a multi-disciplinary team and across divisions/units. Provide effective communication/counsel patient, caregiver and/or family member as needed (including but not limited to discharge instructions, teaching, wound care, return visit, etc.).
- Serve as clinical preceptor to new and/or agency nursing staff.
- Perform patient care according to patient priority (includes interventions identified through nursing diagnoses), and departmental, divisional, and/or unit policies, procedures, and protocols to maintain safe environment for patients, visitors and staff. Document/report interventions and patient/family response. Follows universal precautions.
- Follow policies and procedures in accordance with regulations set forth by the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Department of Nursing, UI Heart and Vascular Center, and the University of Iowa.
- Demonstrate acceptance of responsibility; pride in work performed; flexibility in acceptance of assignments while consistently maintaining professional behavior and appearance.
- May be required to train and provide cross-coverage for adult cardiac catheterization lab and/or float to Cardiovascular Pre and Post Recovery Unit (CPRU).
- Rotating late-stay assignment required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 4 - 10 hour Day shifts. Rotating late-stay assignment required.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics—recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States—is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.®
An Associate’s Degree in Nursing, a Diploma in Nursing, a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing, Professional Masters of Nursing and Healthcare Practice (MNHP), MSN/Clinical Nurse Leader or a Master’s Degree in Nursing (MSN, MA) is required.
- Direct nursing care in a Cath/Electrophysiology Lab, ED and/or Telemetry Unit or ICU within last 6 months required.
- Demonstrated history of positive and professional interactions with patients, families, professional health care staff, and interdisciplinary team members via written, verbal and in-person communication(s).
- Demonstrated ability to effectively utilize critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment while functioning in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Rotating late-stay assignment required.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) required by start date.
- Current certification in Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) required start date.
- Current license to practice nursing in Iowa is required by start date.
- 1 year direct nursing care in an Electrophysiology Lab within last 6 months desired.
- Demonstrated competency in device implantation, interrogation, programming, and troubleshooting.
- If Baccalaureate degree in Nursing is not yet obtained, active enrollment in a BSN program.
- Previous EPIC experience.
- CEPS or RCES certification.
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume and mark as "Relevant File." Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process. Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
- Classification Title: Staff Nurse
- Appointment Type: SEIU
- Schedule: Full-time
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: UI Heart and Vascular HR
- Contact Email: uiheartandvascularHR@uiowa.edu