Background: New Roots Charlottesville supports refugee food security and aids in their transition to the community through gardening, nutrition education, local food access initiatives, and small-scale farming.
Scope of Work: The New Roots Program Support Intern provides hands–on and administrative support to the New Roots Program including outreach, research, record keeping, marketing, events participation, and partnership assistance.
- Support New Roots’ role in cultural orientation for Refugees and New Americans by adapting and implementing nutrition education and grocery store orientation programs (dependent on safety/COVID-19 guidelines)
- Communicate with New Roots gardeners and community volunteers
- Maintain and update detailed maps of each garden location
- Serve as an enumerator for New Roots participant surveys, food security surveys, and other data collection activities
- Assist current and future New Roots gardeners with the garden application process
- Plan and coordinate volunteer events and serve as a liaison to volunteers during events.
- Visit garden sites weekly to interact with gardeners, update community announcements boards, and monitor/report maintenance needs
- Assist with administrative tasks and program-wide evaluations as needed (including using the New Roots case management system)
- Record hours and submit a timesheet