For over 25 years, Telesystem has been empowering businesses across the country with a range of innovative network, communication and collaboration solutions designed to address the business-specific needs of each customer, such as SD-WAN, Managed WiFi, Hosted VoIP, Managed Security, Dedicated Internet, and Unified Communications. Guided by strategic partnerships and a customer-centric mission, these customized solutions are backed with white-glove implementation and 24/7 US-based support.
Telesystem currently delivers enterprise collaboration solutions and networking services to businesses in 45 states, DC and four foreign countries. Our customers include hospitals, universities, local public and private school districts, banks, multi-location retail establishments and regional government offices, to name a few.
JOB TITLE: Tier III Technical Support Specialist I
DIVISION: Network Operations
- The Tier III Technical Support Specialist I is a position of significant relevant technical experience responsible for providing the technical expertise necessary to build, monitor, upgrade and troubleshoot the company’s internal and external core network infrastructure as well as all transport and access equipment deployed in support of Telesystem customers.
- The Tier III Technical Support Specialist I reports to the Tier III Technical Support Supervisor.
- There are no direct reports to this position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The Tier III Technical Support Specialist I is accountable for:
- Trouble resolution and project management in accordance with priorities set forth by the department or the company.
- Contribute in the testing, development of training material, Methods of Procedures (MOPs), and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) associated with new products, services, and equipment
- Contribute in the testing, and deployment of new market network segments. This includes test plan creation and documentation, test plan execution, and test result documentation. This also includes the creation of MOPs and SOPs associated with all network changes.
- Provide escalated technical support for Tier II and Installation Technician personnel.
- Prewire and test new circuits within the Operations Centers (OCs) and work with Installation Technicians during new installs and cutovers.
- Ensure that trouble tickets and outages are responded to and resolved in accordance with Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Monitor, maintain, and Report on SLA’s for customers and ensure the requirements are met.
- Turn-up new equipment and Software in Telesystem OCs, HUB sites, and other designated equipment sites according to departmental and company standards.
- Collaborate across Block Communication Inc (BCI) companies to ensure network elements are configured correctly for presenting Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) based information to various EMS and NMS packages. This includes, but is not limited to, SNMP traps and port/link-based utilization.
- Perform and maintain routine backups of all Telesystem network elements.
- Perform preventative maintenance for all Telesystem network elements.
- Continuously document and review recommended best practices to aide in continuous improvement and decreasing Mean Time to Repair (MTTR).
- Analyze trouble ticket and network statistics to provide recommendations on ways to eliminate any developing negative trouble ticket or network trends.
- Manage trouble tickets within the Telesystem trouble ticketing system providing accurate and relevant information via ticket updates and direct communications with Telesystem customers.
- Acquire and maintain an up-to-date knowledge of all Telesystem deployed equipment, and software.
- Contribute to and participate in any company and department training.
- Work with internal and external resources to accurately test and process faulty equipment.
- Adhere to BCI policies and procedures, including the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) guidelines and safety standards, always.
- Perform any other miscellaneous departmental duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma/GED—Required
- Associate Degree – Major in IT, WAN/LAN, Telecommunications, Engineering or related technical degree.
- 3 years prior telecommunications or networking experience.
- Juniper Networks Certified Associate (JNCIA) or Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification - required
- Certification must be kept current and the learning track applicable to the requirements of the position. Any questions regarding applicability should be brought to the attention of department management.
- If successful candidate does not have certification, it must be obtained within one year of hire date.
- Hired employees will have 1 year from their hire date to earn an associate level certification and 2 years from their associate level certification date to earn a specialist level certification.
- Working knowledge of all layers of both the OSI and TCP/IP networking models. - required
- Working knowledge of routers, switches, firewalls and other security appliances. - required
- Agile – Embraces change; adaptable and flexible; sense of urgency.
- Innovative – Uses critical thinking; Creativity; Continuous learning; Challenges the status quo.
- Customer Focused – External/Internal; Creates the exceptional customer experience; demonstrates a sales and service mentality.
- Collaborative – Teamwork, Proactive knowledge sharing, Constructive Conflict.
- Accountable – See it, Own it, Solve it, Do it; Hold each other accountable.
Job Specific Competencies
- Delivers Results – Strategic Planning & Execution; Makes decisions in the best interest of the Company.
- Displays Leadership - Displays Leadership – Role Model; Communicates vision; possesses Emotional Maturity; Manages Risks; Resiliency; Business Acumen.
Skills and Abilities Required
- Demonstrated working knowledge of both Ethernet and Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) principles including SONET based transport technologies, Ethernet switching, routing protocols (BGP, MPLS, IS-IS, and OSPF), Carrier Wave Division Multiplexing (CWDM), and Dense Wave Division Multiplexing (DWDM).
- Demonstrated working knowledge of voice technologies including Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS), Integrated Services Digital Network - Primary Rate Interface (ISDN-PRI), and Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) including Q.931/Q.921 signaling and Signaling System 7 (SS7).
- Demonstrated ability to perform packet-captures with software like Wireshark and correctly analyze and interpret the packets.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Optical Time Domain Reflectometers to determine light transmission distances and light meters to determine light transmission, or reception on fiber optic cables.
- Demonstrated troubleshooting techniques in alignment with company standards to further reduce MTTR. This includes a working knowledge of test sets used by the company.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the OSI model Layers 1 through Layer 7.
- Ability to perform Tier II functionality during off hours.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the current billing system, facility management system, and trouble ticketing system.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English in clear, concise sentence structure with accurate spelling and grammar;
- Ability to work independently, with little or no supervision;
- Working knowledge of circuit analysis;
- Able to learn new equipment and applications in a timely manner;
- Working knowledge of Circuit Test Equipment;
- Capable of reading and understanding network plant on CAD drawings
- Background record that meets Company standards;
- Valid driver’s license and driving record that meets company standards at all times.
- Present professional appearance and demeanor;
- Strictly maintains confidentiality of financial and/or other information acquired in the course of work; discloses only when authorized, unless legally obligated to do so.
Walking, kneeling, standing, lifting (up to 50 lbs.), stooping, crawling, climbing (stairs, ladders), sitting, vision (close, distant, color, depth perception, adjust focus), hearing, talking, using hands and fingers (grasp, hold, pick-up, rotate, keyboarding, etc.)
- The Tier III Technical Support Specialist I is a full-time non-exempt position. The regular hours of work are 40 hours per week, day or evening hours, with overtime as needed as assigned by supervisor according to the Company’s needs.
- The Tier III Technical Support Specialist I regularly reports to the Network Operation Center, 48I8 Angola Rd Toledo OH.
- The Tier III Technical Support Specialist I works in an automated business office environment with business office equipment including telephones, personal computers, copy machines, and FAX equipment.
- The Company is a drug-free workplace. All employees are required to adhere to the Company’s drug-free workplace programs and policies. Pre-employment testing is mandatory along with random testing throughout continued employment.
- The duties assigned, the hours worked, and the status of this position is subject to change as the needs of the company changes.
USE OF COMPANY RESOURCES, EQUIPMENT, AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
Company resources, equipment, and information are provided to employees to facilitate work. They may not be used for purposes other than work without proper authorization. Any unauthorized use of Company resources, equipment, or information is strictly prohibited. Any unauthorized use of customer data or any other company information gained via any company resource is a breach of confidentiality and is strictly prohibited.
Any unauthorized use of company resources, equipment information, and/or breaches of confidentiality may be cause for termination of employment.
Telesystem is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).