Agriculture plays a fundamental role in fulfilling many of humanity's basic needs: food, feed, energy. To support growers and those who take care of our environment, BASF develops innovative solutions for farming, pest control and landscape management - so that we can effectively contribute to improving people's lives and business' demands. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for sustainable agriculture at the Innovation Center of BASF Belgium Coordination Center CommV in Gent, Belgium.
The purpose of this role is to manage and further develop state-of-the-art quantitative genetics approaches as part of our molecular breeding platform for hybrid row crops in BASF. In addition, this position will directly support BASFs global hybrid wheat breeders.
What you can expect:
- You will manage and develop methods for marker-trait associations to discover relevant native traits for our global hybrid wheat breeding program.
- You will contribute to the efficient application of genetic markers in the marker-assisted selection processes in our global hybrid breeding programs.
- Additionally, you oversee the implementation of state-of-the-art software applications and define and develop our fast-evolving genetics and genomics toolbox.
- Furthermore, you will work with experienced plant breeders, lab team, software developers, and Biometricians to supply solutions to deploy native traits and maximize genetic gain in hybrid crops.
- You have a Ph.D. degree in quantitative genetics, statistical genetics or plant breeding with a minimum of 3 years relevant experience. Proven expertise in wheat (or other hybrid crops) is a plus.
- You master standard methods in quantitative genetics, genetic mapping and marker-trait association incorporating high-throughput genotyping. Knowledge of genomic selection and/or work experience in plant breeding is a plus.
- You have detailed technical and scientific understanding of state-of-the-art genotyping and DNA sequencing solutions and associated data analysis strategies.
- You have experience with handling and managing large data sets.
- You are familiar with R, Perl and Python scripting.
- You are a team player with strong interpersonal skills and have experience in multicultural environments.
- Your creativity, flexible thinking, and ability to adapt to changing priorities are well developed.
- You have excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills in English (working language).
- You are willing to travel as needed, both domestically as internationally.
- Responsibility from day one in a challenging work environment and "on-the-job" training as part of a committed team.
- Competitive compensation including attractive benefits as well as excellent career opportunities in an international company.
We are the world's leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We connect and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance. Not only your performance but also your personality matters to us, without regard of gender, age, origin, sexual orientation, disability or belief. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
Do you have any questions about the application process or the job?
Nele (Talent acquisition)
Phone: +49 30 2005-58363
At BASF, the chemistry is right. Because we are counting on innovative solutions, on sustainable actions, and on connected thinking. And on you. Become a part of our formula for success and develop the future with us - in a global team that embraces diversity and equal opportunities irrespective of gender, age, origin, sexual orientation, disability or belief.