Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
We have payed out over $1 billion directly to creators on our platform this year alone, and our user base has doubled. In order to support this level of growth, we're looking for a Senior Backend Engineer, Risk.
What you will do:
- You'll help Patreon scale the foundation of a platform that helps creators pay rent and enables higher levels of creativity.
- Lead and contribute to the development and design of our Fraud and Risk platform, and tools working with and mentoring other team members.
- Develop systems to gather signals from payment and identity data providers, to distinguish fraudulent activity from legitimate.
- Manage scale & reliability. Maintaining Patreon Fraud Platform at scale requires constant investment in security, reliability and monitoring tools.
- Use machine learning (ML) techniques to analyze user behavior of bad actors.
- Work with a supportive team to get things done with the right mix of quality and agility.
- Advocate for optimized practices across the engineering organization.
- Collaborate with product management, designers, other engineers, and internal stakeholders to build new product functionality, while maintaining a delightful user experience, motivated by passion for our shared mission.
- Work with Python 3.6, Flask, MySQL, AWS, Redis, and Kafka, introducing other technologies when it makes sense.
Skills and experience you possess:
- You have experience working in systems handling high volume financial transactions.
- You have experience with Python, micro-services, SQL or Key-Value databases.
- You have experience in fraud-detection and prevention systems.
- You have experience shipping quality code, releasing early, and iterating rapidly.
- You have experience in working with data-driven applications at scale.
- You have opinions on what makes effective programming and testing practices.
- You have the soft skills to come up with resolutions with the team regardless different perspectives and timezones.
- You are smart about scheduling and planning.
- You know how to write clear code.
Projects you may work on:
- Design, build and deploy scalable stream and graph processing systems to power model training and real-time automated decision making.
- Expanding our fraud and risk service, which processes thousands of transactions per minute, ensuring our creators and patrons are safe and secure.
- Building tools to help creators manage their businesses, gain insights from their data, and get closer to their biggest fans.
- Leveling up our public API to support extensive 3rd-party integrations via a secure and elegantly simple developer experience.
- Contribute at a global scale.
What you will have the chance to learn:
- Be a part of team to advance risk domain-driven architecture.
- Balancing friction and user experience to help increase revenues and safeguard Patreon’s bottom line with fraud prevention.
- Ways to empower a product that gets creators paid. You will help creators make a sustainable living and achieve higher levels of creativity.
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Patreon aspires to be among the tech industry’s most inclusive work environments. Not only is it the right thing to do, but pursuing diversity of perspectives helps us build for our diverse community of creators and patrons. To learn how we're working towards this, please click here. If you identify with a traditionally underrepresented group of individuals in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply!
We work hard to maintain a bottom-up decision-making culture. We empower our employees by providing a clear vision and tools to fulfill on it. We believe that hiring smart, thoughtful, people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results.
You’ll love working here if:
- You care about getting artists and creators paid.
- You believe the best products are built with a human-centered design process.
- You love to design impactful, well crafted experiences.
- You work best in a highly collaborative environment.
Want to learn more about Patreon?
- Check out our reviews on Glassdoor
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn
Thanks very much for taking the time to learn about the team behind Patreon. If you want to join us changing creator’s lives, we’d love to talk.
Read Full Description