Cobham Aviation Services are looking for a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer
In this role you will be expected to be creative and innovative in the generation of concepts and detailed designs using 3D CAD and FEA simulation tools. You will provide expert technical guidance to the mechanical design team and to systems engineering to ensure robust requirements definition and management. You will provide line management to a small team of mechanical Engineers at the Hurn site and support the Chief Mechanical Engineer in maintaining a high quality technical output on time and to cost on projects
This role is based in Bournemouth
As a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Chartered Engineer
- Batchelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering (alternatives considered)
- Experience in all aspects of engineering product life cycle and development phases.
- Experience of using 3D CAD packages, use of Solidworks would be an advantage
- Experience working within the Aerospace Sector or similar regulated industry experience of leading technical teams
As a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer your main responsibilities will involve:
- Produce concept and detailed designs using 3D CAD ensuring that solutions are fit for purpose and cost effective.
- Undertake development and leadership of an assigned group of Engineers.
- Act as Lead Mechanical Engineer for Key Developments
- Use FEA and CFD tools supported by hand calculations to simulate mechanical behaviour
- Generate and amend drawings and documentation to appropriate standards including BS8888.
- Undertake tolerance analysis of designs including Geometric Dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Continuous improvement of processes and tools including support to corporate change initiatives
- Provide Focus for Customer technical queries (both external and internal)
- Requirements management and derivation (for area of expertise)
- Work package management
- An understanding of most aspects of mechanical engineering, especially structural analysis.
- A broad understanding of materials, treatments and finishes, and their environmental implications
- Experience of the airborne environment
- A proven ability to support change within an organisation
About Cobham Aviation Services
Protecting borders, saving lives and enhancing the effectiveness of defence personnel.
We combine state-of-the-art technology with complex air platforms to deliver customised airborne surveillance, operational readiness training and search and rescue services.
Our end-to-end capabilities benefit government and military customers with responsive and cost-effective turn-key solutions for optimal mission performance.
About Cobham plc
Cobham is a leading global technology and services innovator, respected for providing solutions to the greatest challenges, from deep space to the depths of the ocean.
Read Full Description