UW - Underwriting
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
National Union Fire Insurance Co of Pittsburgh, PA
Underwriting Director, Private Client Group
Primary responsibility is to oversee Private Client Group’s underwriting for all US home and auto products for the assigned region. The UW Director will ensure implementation of overall underwriting strategies and be accountable for the profitability of the business for that region.
- Manage & mentor the branch managers responsible for a portfolio of US home and auto Private Client Group business in a given territory.
- Leads a culture of underwriting excellence. Instill a culture of accountability by setting clear expectations, measuring results, rewarding the right behavior and addressing consequences. Develop and maintain a performance management culture by setting standards and measures for the selection, hiring assessment and development of talent.
- Contributes to the ongoing execution of Private Client’s strategy in order to deliver growth, profitability, operating targets and maximization of shareholder value.
- Lead Regional Staff focusing on mentoring, staff development, bench strength building and talent management.
- Balance and enhance local broker relationships, leveraging the strength of Private Client Group.
- Drive short and intermediate term strategies within the assigned region that are aligned with long-term goals through adaptation, innovation, and risk selection to maximize ROE, improve profit and maintain market leadership.
- Handle referrals within stated authority.
- Ensures that appropriate underwriting guardrails are in place for the business.
- Drive consistent underwriting best practices and guidelines across the region to ensure rating, pricing and structuring adequacy of the business.
- Plan, manage, and evaluate work of managers and underwriters; prepare managers to make decisions regarding employee pay, performance management, development, employment, and staffing levels.
- Ensure collaboration across the organization to maximize, deliver, and consistently harness the PCG value proposition to the marketplace.
- Assist with audits, quality reviews, and peer reviews, including implementation of action steps to improve underwriting results. Implement governance strategies.
- Drive a culture that promotes collaboration, innovation, diversity and inclusion; successfully conduct talent acquisition, employee engagement and performance monitoring/evaluation work; lead through example
- Strategic orientation, managing vision and purpose, developing organizational capability.
- Talent assessment and development for bench strength and succession planning.
- Proven collaborative leadership skills.
- Strong influencing and communications skills and ability to work across multiple areas of company and industries.
- Change management and team leadership.
- External thought leadership.
Technical Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years staff management.
- Minimum 5 years of High Net Worth Personal Insurance experience.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university preferred.
- Understand regulatory and compliance processes.
- Must be able to Forecast and budget accurately.
- Broad insurance industry experience.
- Analytical and quantitative skills.
- Knowledge of market segmentation, portfolio management, acquisition and distribution.
- Process and system skills.
- Technical underwriting experience with a broad view.
- Experience with Actuarial data and underwriting modeling techniques.
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
Read Full Description