The New York Daily News is accepting applications for the role of Politics Editor. This is a masthead level position responsible for the coordination and editing of our coverage of New York City’s various governments and agencies, New York State capital and our coverage of federal politics and agencies. Given the timing of this opportunity, the 2020 elections will be an area of significant focus.
The applicant should demonstrate the proven ability to develop a strategic game plan for coverage as well as manage day-to-day responsibilities and the politics team in a fast-paced daily newsroom. This role carries high expectations for speed, accuracy and reliable news judgement.
This position reports directly to the Metropolitan Editor and there will be daily interaction with the Editor-in-Chief.
- is one of the key positions in the newsroom leadership team and the individual is expected to operate his/her department as well as have a working knowledge of the larger strategies driving the whole newsroom.
- Is expected to develop and deploy a coverage and enterprise strategy that is always forward-looking out three to six-months.
- Is expected to manage resources including staff overtime, travel and purchased content as well as a freelance budget all within the scope of the newsroom’s operating budget.
- Is expected to maximize digital audience engagement by using a variety of levers including consistently high content productivity, effective use of search tools and social outreach. The PE is expected to be conversant in the audience tracking tools and use the data to continuously develop a larger digital audience.
- Is expected to collaborate across other NYDN desks. Must perform well in a team environment.
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Read Full Description