Product Manager, Telemetry
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Whether it is a visual map or a navigation map; whether it is a map for business intelligence, logistics, or consumer social app; whether it is roads on a map, buildings on a map, points-of-interest on a map, or mountains on a satellite imagery map, the common foundation on all of them is Data. Mapbox is the Big Data location company that lays behind the scenes of most popular applications.
Data Services is responsible for acquiring, processing, and delivering high quality location-oriented data to enable internal and external customers. We provide Mapbox maps with fresh and precise GIS and Points-of-Interest (POI) data across multiple layers of our map. We provide data for routing, and real-time traffic data for our navigation services. We also productize conflated raw geolocation data from many open and commercial sources directly to our customers.
Data Services teams uses the latest big data processing technologies available in industry. We ingest and process petabytes of very diverse data everyday. We update structured GIS data across multiple Mapbox layers everyday. We ingests billions of telemetry probs that coming as live streams of KV pairs. We process “heavy” satellite and aerial imagery data. We conflate addresses and POI data globally. Most recently we also have added street level photo and video data for AR driving to our data processing pipelines. In terms of technology, we use technologies such as Spark, Kafka, Airflow, Postgres, and other SaaS, open source and commercial offerings. Our goals is to provide the highest quality location data for our internal teams and external data product customers. If you are a data person, if you have interests in locations and maps, Mapbox Data Services is the place you want to work.
What You'll Do
- Telemetry owns the largest location dataset for Mapbox, with over 300 million miles of daily data powered by our 600 million monthly active users. Currently, primary use of Telemetry is to power Mapbox speed, ETA, and routing calculations. As Product Manager for Telemetry you will continue to work with engineers and data science teams to improve the quality, coverage, and predictive accuracy of our traffic and ETAs.
- You’ll own product for a data product, Mapbox Traffic Data, and bring it from public beta into general availability. You’ll get to work directly with ridehailing companies, on-demand delivery, cities and urban planners, and autonomous vehicle companies to find product/market fit and drive success in each industry
- Beyond traffic, you will lead customer and market conversations to determine our next data products. You’ll define customer needs and new product offerings from our data across new use cases and industries. You’ll lead discussions on combining telemetry data with maps, vision, satellite imagery, and other geo-location data. You will set the overall product direction, write product requirements, and facilitate product go-to-market efforts.
- You will be the primary partner for engineering managers on these products, help prioritize engineering teams in delivery of functionalities through agile development methodologies.
- You will be the source-of-truth to Sales and Marketing teams in how to position the product, which key capabilities to highlight, co-author sales enablement material, and marketing material
What We Believe are Important Experiences, Knowledge, and Traits, for This Role
- Self-directed, driven, and sharp.
- Product Management function experience, derived from at least 3-5+ years of working as a technology product manager: requirements, planning, value articulation, pricing, competitive analysis
- A strong combination of business savvy and technology understanding.
- A curiosity to learn customer pain, behavior and competitive offerings
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing both to technical engineering audience, as well as to Sales and Marketing teams.
- Strong plus include technology experience in navigation, routing, traffic and traffic incident technologies
- Strong plus include experiences in logistics, delivery, transportation, and automotive industries
- Plus include knowledgeable in geolocation data, geolocation data processing, and data science algorithms.
- Plus include understanding of enterprise software technology stacks, data processing, cloud platforms. The understanding may be gained as a former developer/software engineer or product manager for enterprise software products.
What We Value
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We value transparent, in-depth communication. Strong culture of open debate, decide, and commit. We value deeply understand problems and solving them at the root.
- We value the spirit of entrepreneurship, action-orientation, and fast moving ethos.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Read Full Description