Patient Care Technician I
Tower 10 – Med/Surg/Telemetry
.7 flexible full time, nights with rotation
Union position: AFSCME
As a Patient Care Technician I, you will provide routine patient care and support services in accordance with established policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the nurse or physician, to assure that the highest degree of quality patient care is maintained at all times.
We are now offering an eight-day training course for entry level candidates to learn and demonstrate the skills needed to be a successful Patient Care Technician I at UPMC Altoona. Apply now to learn more!
- Demonstrate awareness of behavior on the efficient functioning of the department.
- Comply with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions and understand policies and procedures for blood borne pathogen exposure.
- Assure equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate department.
- Establish appropriate and effective communication strategies.
- Respond within the scope of the nursing assistant role to emergent situations.
- Take action to improve knowledge, skills and performance.
- Provide feedback to the RN regarding patient care and report changes in patient status.
- Strictly adhere to all policies and practices relative to patient care and hospital related information.
- Assume responsibility for assignment and views problems as challenges.
- Identify and communicates learning needs to the unit director.
- Establish professional and respectful interpersonal relationships.
- Maintain an environment conducive to patient safety and recovery including, but not limited to, completing safety checks, keeping the department and patient rooms clean and organized, cleaning department specific equipment, changing bed linens, emptying linen hampers, keeping hallways clear of equipment and returning equipment.
- Request assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as needed. Participate in self-review as requested by the unit director.
- Suggest and support changes within the department.
- Contribute to the universal unit activities including, but not limited to, responding to call lights and telephones, passing meal trays and transporting patients.
- Provide direct patient care as directed by the RN including all activities of daily living such as bathing, feeding, transporting, toileting and ambulating patients.
- Acquire and distribute supplies and equipment to facilitate patient care delivery including, but not limited to, performing messenger functions, ordering, charging/crediting supplies, setting up patient care equipment within the scope of the nursing assistant position and stocking patient rooms and unit supply areas.
- Perform routine tests such as blood glucose monitoring, patient weights, vital signs and I&Os.
- Constructively receive feedback and direction.
- Provide companionship/supervision one in one with patients as required.
- Deliver patient nourishments, fill water pitchers and distribute patient mail.
- May apply, monitor and remove patient restraints as per physician or hospital protocol. Provide diversion activities to reduce or prevent use of restraints.
- Document in the medical record according to established procedures.
High school diploma or equivalent. If no previous hospital or pre-hospital training, successful completion of UPMC patient care technician class OR successful completion of the first year of clinical work in a nursing program. Successful completion of basic information system training. Microcomputer experience preferred. Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing. Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic or currently enrolled in an EMT or Paramedic program preferred. Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the nurse.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Read Full Description
- Minimum starting pay rate is $12.00/hour*