Want to get to know the hiring manager? Watch a quick interview here.
We’re looking for an exceptional business-savvy data scientist to develop data products and drive better decision making across the edX organization and for our partners.
This is an opportunity to create tremendous business value, help us establish a world-class data science and analytics function, and most importantly have a major impact on our mission of providing high quality education to everyone, everywhere.
- Support the day-to-day analytical needs of a cross-functional product development team. This includes assessing business opportunities, developing success metrics, designing and analyzing experiments, and building statistical models using large data sets.
- Identify, implement, and drive adoption of analytics-based solutions to business problems.
- Provide statistical support across all departments and for end customers.
- Mentor other team members.
- Innovate new ways data science can be used to support the organization and its mission.
- At least 2 years of hands-on experience working with large, real world data in a business or academic environment.
- Demonstrably strong business orientation and stakeholder management skills.
- Strong programming skills as applied to working with large data sets (e.g. in Python, R, SQL, Spark), producing readable, reusable code.
- A propensity toward action, and the mentality to get initial results quickly and iterate.
- Connoisseurship of good science: attention to experimental design, causality, bias, significance, etc.
- Heaploads of scrappiness, big picture thinking, and interest in solving fuzzy business problems.
- Strong attention to detail and motivation to minimize error.
- Excellent communication skills and a team player attitude.
- The desire to have fun while doing all of the above.
Nice to have
- Graduate degree in a quantitative discipline.
- Experience with A/B testing, learning science, or clickstream data.
- Strong background in statistics and machine learning.
How you will grow
- Be part of a highly talented, collaborative, and practical data team that is always teaching and learning from each other.
- Collaborate cross functionally and with senior leadership on some of edX's highest visibility initiatives.
- Focus your energy on business impact, honing your ability to use data to create quantifiable value for an organization.
- Play a key role in transforming a company early in its analytical journey into a highly sophisticated data-driven organization.
- Solve challenging technical problems involving large volumes of data using cutting-edge tools.
- Dedicate your time at work to furthering an important social cause, and have a big impact on edX's sustainability.
Are you ready to join a startup that’s transforming education? At edX, our mission is to offer a world-class education to everyone, everywhere, allowing them to gain the in-demand skills and knowledge that will lead to career and lifelong success. Today, edX.org, a nonprofit in Cambridge provides more than 16 million people access to education from the best universities and institutions in the world, including Harvard, MIT, Oxford, and Microsoft. EdX provides inspirational and transformative knowledge to students of all ages, social status, and income who form worldwide communities of learners.
Applicants must be able to work out of our Cambridge, MA office. Sorry, Visa sponsorship is not available.
Read Full Description