As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career goals and empower your future!
Plan, organize, supervise and direct the operation and maintenance activities at a gas-fired cogeneration plant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide first line supervision, direction, and coordination of activities for Midway Sunset Cogeneration Company stationed operation and maintenance personnel.
- Responsible for ensuring and maintaining a safe work environment.
- Assist in the selection, training and development of operation and maintenance personnel, including preparation, review and approval of timesheets, administration of employee performance appraisals and some human resource functions.
- Develop and administer training programs to ensure employee skills meet Midway Sunset Cogeneration Company standards to operate and maintain the plant in a safe, regulatory compliant and efficient manner.
- Supervise plant operation by analyzing, evaluating and determining equipment usage, directing plant start-up and shut-down to meet contract requirements, expectations of customers while maintaining safety, regulatory compliance and efficiency.
- Plan, organize, and execute maintenance activities including unit outages for routine maintenance, modifications, combustion inspections, hot gas path inspections, and major overhauls.
- Monitor equipment performance and diagnose potential problems. Develop and implement changes for maximum equipment performance and reliability.
- Maintain equipment history and maintenance records.
- Function as the initial scheduling contact with California Independent System Operator (ISO). Ensure that the plant meets its contractual scheduling requirements of any Power Purchase Agreement.
- Coordinate the activities of independent contractors and suppliers for maintenance planning and scheduling.
- Ensure necessary tooling and other resources are made available to perform operation and maintenance activities.
- Ensure that all plant activities are performed in compliance with safety, environmental and other state and federal regulations.
- Ensure that all plant activities are performed in compliance with Midway Sunset policies, procedures and accepted practices.
- Ensure effective communication networks with operation and maintenance personnel as well as internal and external suppliers.
- Supervise the review, development and implementation of directives, plant procedures, memorandums and informal letters in order to maintain operating procedures consistent with optimum plant performance and Midway Sunset Cogeneration Company policy.
- Provide support to the Plant Manager in the preparation of periodic reports and charts relating to plant operation and maintenance, budgeting, and other related functions.
- Participate in the development of the operation and maintenance budget. Monitor and control plant budget performance.
- Recommend and administer disciplinary action when necessary.
- Review for approval plant personnel expense reports and meal reimbursements.
- Maintain a positive company image while providing an example for all employees.
- Work effectively in a team environment as a leader, member and/or facilitator.
- Perform other duties and assignments as required.
- Directly supervises plant personnel and contractors. May supervise other personnel as directed by the Plant Manager.
- Frequent contact with management, supervisory personnel and other plant personnel to exchange information, coordinate operation and maintenance activities, and develop strategies, procedures and improvements for current operating practices. Regular contact with contractors, vendors, and visitors. Occasional contact with local, state, and federal agencies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of power plant operating principles, procedures and safe work practices required. Broad knowledge of electrical and mechanical theory, principles of supervision, accounting and budgeting procedures, maintenance procedures, and planning techniques required.
- Ability to supervise, train and direct subordinates in an understandable, clear manner, while maintaining individual self-esteem. Must have the ability to plan and coordinate projects, and communicate both orally and in writing. Must possess knowledge of manufacturer’s manuals, contracts, computer reports, and technical specifications and drawings.
- Possess the skill and ability to provide effective leadership for routine and emergency activities. Must have the ability to manage time efficiently and remain available and flexible.
- Must have knowledge of, and comply with, government regulations and codes. Job requires enforcement of all safety, environmental, and human resource rules and regulations.
- Supervisor duties require extensive manual dexterity in usage of computer terminal and keyboard, while sitting for long periods of time preparing budgets, schedules, production reports, outage plans, and other reports as needed.
- Plant equipment may require supervisor inspection by climbing vertical ladders in excess of 20 feet and stairways in excess of 50 feet, using step stool, kneeling, bending, walking over uneven surfaces such as loose rock, open grating, up and down staircases.
- The supervisor may also be required to operate mobile equipment such as zoom booms or scissor lifts to reach heights to inspect equipment, which includes pushing or pulling equipment into place, climbing into a basket, and riding in the basket while the equipment is operating.
- The compartments where certain equipment may be located may exceed temperatures of 130°F. Some equipment may be located on surfaces where the temperatures may be as high as 600°F.
- The supervisor is required to prepare and conduct training, including mentoring individuals one-on-one. In conducting training, the supervisor may be required to carry training materials, and to stand for extended periods of time.
- When required for operation, maintenance, or safety emergency reasons, the supervisor must be able to quickly access all areas of the plant including, but not limited to, confined spaces, high elevations, and hot areas.
- The supervisor may be required to work extended periods of time outside normal business hours.
- Applicants must be respirator qualified.
- Applicants must comply with DOT PHMSA drug and Operator Qualificatioin testing requirements.
- High school education or equivalent with classes in industrial arts, drafting, mathematics, oral communications, and technical writing required. Additional college course work and classes in electrical theory, mechanical theory, and supervision/management/leadership techniques are highly desirable.
- Must have 3-5 years of experience in the operation and maintenance of power plants, refineries, or similar technology. Supervisory experience (or upgrade to supervisor) is preferred.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
Read Full Description