The Sports Reporter is responsible for generating quality content including stories, photographs, and videos for newspaper, online, mobile, niche publications, social media, magazines, and special sections. The core purpose of the coordinator is to research, document, write, and present the news in an honest, ethical, and unbiased way. The position is based out of our Carson City offices.
Our application process is two parts. Please start here and complete the questionnaire. When complete, return to this page and click apply to complete your application.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Research, write and report compelling journalism that continuously grows an audience by informing and engaging readers.
- Faithfully execute the publisher/general manager and managing editor’s vision of the newspaper and content plan.
- Write and file 8-10 well-written, bylined stories and/or sidebars per average week along with photographs and/or videos to illustrate
- The position seeks to meet the needs of a group of publications and involves night and weekend assignments.
- Cultivate relationships with coaches and community members and leaders to obtain user-generated content.
- Post error-free basic stories to our digital platforms, including sending push alerts and pushing content to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Verify statements and facts by following social media, making phone calls to sources, listening to police scanners, seeking out eyewitnesses, tracking court dockets for key cases and demanding public records.
- Understand and embrace the concepts of readability in crafting stories and developing sidebars as well as providing materials for informational graphics.
- Adhere to the newsroom workflow to meet all deadlines
- Attend staff meetings and communicate routinely with editors, designers and peers within the organization.
- Edit and upload photos and videos to system, creating cutlines for each.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- College degree and/or equivalent experience
- Excellent listening, speaking, and written communication skills.
- Strong computer/digital skills with understanding of various platforms utilized in production of stories and photographs
- Working knowledge of Associated Press style and an understanding of the daily newspaper environment.
- Strong interest in news and the community.
Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Read Full Description