Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges—and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
The Data Governance and Management task at CISA is looking for candidates with expertise with database engineering, data analytics, and data management to advance data management practices, tools and technologies for an emerging enterprise data management program at DHS. Provide technical expertise, assessments, data analysis, modeling and guidance with data management initiatives, investments, and activities.
- Contributes to the CDO’s data program in providing technical guidance and quality products focused on successful sponsor outcomes, including strong support, and encouragement for the transition of research results to sponsor operations.
- Works as a strong individual contributor, providing thought leadership and technical subject matter expertise to advance data management maturity at CISA.
- Collaborates across MITRE on work related to data engineering and information science
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical field (e.g., computer science, engineering, mathematics)
- 5 -10 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with data requirements definition and data modeling using UML Class or Entity Relationship diagramming techniques
- Expertise in data modeling principles/methods including conceptual, logical & physical data models
- Ability to clearly communicate complex technical ideas, regardless of the technical capacity of the audience
- Strong, demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Strong inter-personal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt modeling methods
- Strong ability to understand data relationships to create data models that reflects these relationships
- Ability to work with diverse and senior sponsors to apply data management principles, concepts and methods across the data life cycle
- Experience understanding and translating business needs into data models using best practices
- Experience in conducting customer interviews and hands-on data analysis
- Ability to work at different levels of abstraction from conceptual to operational levels of detail
- Ability to find and assimilate information from a variety of sources, discern similarities or underlying patterns, and define conceptual representations informed by the research
- Ability to think critically, and question assumptions
- Self-starter and ability to work independently
- Knowledge of or experience with data exchange standards, such as the National Information Exchange Model (NIEM)
- Software Development and Database Design experience
- Experience in translating/mapping relational data models into XML or JSON schemas
- Knowledge of SQL and/or PL/SQL
- Data analysis and modeling tools (e.g. Power Designer, ERWin, ER/Studio)
- RDBMS platforms (e.g. SQL Server, Oracle, Netezza, Teradata, DB2 / UDB)
- NoSQL platforms (e.g. Neo4J, MongoDB, Elasticsearch)
- Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Visio
- Ability to utilize Business Intelligence tools to represent insights
- Experience working with dimensionally modeled data
BS and 8 years related experience
Read Full Description