In a nutshell:
We are looking for a Senior Interaction Designer who is passionate about designing elegant user experiences, deeply considering and supporting the interactions people have with complex systems, software, services, and each other.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Interaction Designers have impact by crafting the structure and behavior of products and services. Is it clear how to navigate and find information? Does the design give people confidence by responding the way they expect? Does it transcend mere functionality and become something people enjoy? This role is crucial in translating human-centered insights into actionable experiences for people.
Once here you will:
- Work on projects that identify and solve problems across a variety of industries.
- Collaborate with designers from different backgrounds such as design researchers, business designers, industrial designers, and communication designers to develop a holistic design for our clients.
- Create “looks like/works like” prototypes that communicate a design to potential users and client stakeholders.
- Design across a wide variety of mediums: mobile apps, websites, digital/physical controls, room-scale displays, AR/VR, voice user interfaces — whatever is appropriate for the varied context of our projects.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
- Rise Science: Partnered with a sleep analytics start-up to develop a comprehensive sleep training system for professional athletes and scale the business.
- Swell: Collaborated on a new venture and digital product aimed at helping consumers invest in portfolios of stocks that align with their values.
- Ascensia: Created and launched a comprehensive diabetes management system that included a glucose meter and app.
- You can review more of IDEO’s work here.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- 3–5 years interaction design experience across a variety of digital media.
- Bachelor’s and/or graduate degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, New Media, HCI, or other relevant degree.
- Experience with a variety of design tools such as Sketch, Figma, InVision, Framer, Principle, Adobe CC suite, HTML/CSS/JS, Processing/P5, Arduino, etc.
- Systems thinking: Able to tackle complex, interconnected challenges and use design to both communicate that complexity and prototype interventions that provide clarity and simplicity.
- Passion for design: Able to distinguish between ‘good’ and ‘great’ and are able to not only identify best practices, but push boundaries and explore new territory.
- Team skills: Able to collaborate in participatory, team-based environment and support and inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of deliverables.
- Communication: Strong verbal and visual presentation skills, as well as an articulate point of view about design. An ability to understand the value of design within a business context.
- Prototyping: Able to learn from failure, embrace an iterative process and understand that success comes sooner with trial and error. Experience in delivering low and high fidelity prototypes.
Application requirements and instructions:
Please submit a resume, cover letter (yes, we read cover letters), and a portfolio .pdf or link.
Read Full Description