Freshly is one of the fastest-growing food-tech startups and the largest fresh-prepared meal delivery service in the country. It’s our mission to make eating healthy easier by delivering fresh, nutritious, fully cooked meals directly to consumers. We’re passionate about changing the food industry by pioneering a new way to think about meal delivery, access to fresh and healthy food, and how we eat in general. If helping build a brand that will fundamentally transform an industry is exciting to you, read on!
The Culinary Technician assists the production and culinary team in collecting accurate product data to ensure specification compliance, product optimization and overall meal quality. The Culinary Technician works across all food operation areas of Freshly’s production facilities.
- Available to work production shift schedule: 5 - 6 days per week, 1PM - 3AM, for first few months
- Collect meal component data during production to validate specification compliance; verify data accuracy and through repetitive testing
- Support production through product preparation and documentation of requested ingredients and meal components
- Implement and perform scientific and analytical testing in a manufacturing environment to optimize recipe performance and production efficiencies
- Audit weight and yield compliance throughout production areas
- Execute and prepare prototype samples based on recipes provided
- Ensures that samples collected are prepared, bagged, labeled, dated and contained per process; when applicable, ensure that all products are ready and shipped complete, accurately and on time
- As available, assist Culinary Development in testing new recipes, trialing product enhancements, and other production-based development tasks
- Ensure quality, safety , product specifications and good manufacturing processes (GMPs) are followed
- Comply with FDA, USDA and HACCP standards
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager
- Ability to taste, smell and see well enough to discriminate quantity and quality of individual flavor components
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, talk and hear.
- The employee frequently is required to walk, use hands and arms to handle, feel and reach, push, pull, bend and twist.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, move up and down stairs; occasionally push, pull, move, lift, carry, and place merchandise and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Visually inspects equipment and locates merchandise and other objects.
- Wear personal protective equipment (PPE) as required.
- Read information, often in small print.
- Enter and locate information on a computer system or communication device.
- Write documents, reports, etc. using a writing instrument (e.g., pencil, pen) or computer.
- Observe behavior of others.
- Works in active kitchen areas with hot equipment and perishable food products.
- May require work in grill and oven areas with extreme heat conditions and frequent interaction with heated equipment.
- Food preparation, food handling and cooking required.
- Must wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in all required areas.
- Work in areas requiring exposure to varying temperatures, extreme heat or cold from 0 to 100 degrees, and/or wet, damp, or drafty conditions.
- Work in areas with slippery and/or wet conditions near water.
- Frequently work near equipment and mechanically moving parts.
- Regular exposure to cleaning chemicals.
- Work overnight, weekends, and rotating/varying shifts.
- Work indoors for extended periods of time.
- Move through narrow, enclosed, or elevated spaces. Peanut-free facility.
- Must have serious passion for cooking delicious, healthy food
- Must have high standards for food quality and customer satisfaction
- Knowledge of high-volume kitchen logistics
- 2+ years experience in food manufacturing and/or large volume food service production
- Culinary Degree, Culinology Degree or equivalent background and experience Certifications a plus, but not required
- High school diploma required
- Meticulous attention to detail including strong analytical, writing, math, and communication skills
- Strong technical and problem-solving skills
- Comfortable in pilot plant or manufacturing environment
- Comfortable in a kitchen environment
- Basic understanding of food safety; ServSafe or similar preferred
- Organizational & project management skills
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Basic understanding of food science is a plus
- Proficient computer skills (Google Docs) is a plus
Freshly delivers chef-prepared, ready-to-eat healthy meals to customers’ doorsteps through a weekly subscription model. The menu is designed using whole, natural ingredients - every meal is packed with high-quality proteins, heart-healthy fats, and nutrient-dense carbohydrates. Freshly meals NEVER contain gluten, refined sugars, or artificial additives. Freshly’s team of chefs do all the cooking and meals arrive fresh (never frozen) and are ready to eat within 3 minutes. For more information, visit www.freshly.com.
Here's some recent chatter about us:
WSJ - Nestle Buys Stake in Freshly, Putting Healthy Food On The Menu
Fortune - Nestle Leads $77M Funding Round In Meal-Delivery Startup Freshly
Techcrunch - Nestlé leads $77M Round For Healthy Meal Startup Freshly
We pride ourselves on our fast-paced and fun environment and above all value transparency, communication, and collaboration. We are always learning, growing, and taking risks – if this sounds like an environment where you would thrive, we’d love to hear from you!
Read Full Description