This internship will support and assist with various projects as assigned within the Company’s Resource Planning Department. These projects will be assigned consistent with the Company’s Internship Program with an emphasis on developing an understanding of the Company’s multiple business units and enhancing the intern’s ability to apply his/her education in a business environment.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on February 21, 2019.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Resource Planning Senior Analyst
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in compilation of data for resource planning projects.
- Assist in the use of analytical tools, such as statistical and resource planning software, to create value and customer service.
- Track historic load trends and compare to load forecasts to determine load forecasts in the future are accurate.
- Analyze data related to core resource planning functions
- Assist the Regulatory Department with its responses to data requests/interrogatories
- Keep supervisor informed of project work status.
- Assist in preparation of documentation for Federal reporting requirements such as North American Electric Reliability Corporation.
- Research and communicate the proper interpretation of rates, rules, and terms and conditions of potential resource alternatives, including renewable resources, as needed to run resource plan models.
- Add knowledge and value to the team through collaboration and idea generation
- Translate analytical findings into clear insights
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team to identify opportunities for improvement to existing processes
- Gain familiarity with Company’s resource planning process.
- Maintain strong working relationships within all employees, business associates, consultants and customers.
- Maintain supportive and respectful working relationships with all Black Hills Corporation employees and departments.
- College sophomore or above working toward Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as Engineering, Business, Accounting or Finance, Data Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics or equivalent experience.
- Economic principles utilizing statistics and analytics are preferred.
- Analytical methods
- General accounting, finance, business and/or process improvement knowledge is a plus
- Data visualization
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations.
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate with employees and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business, employee and applicant information.
- Participation in the Company’s Industry Orientation Experiences, which will include some travel.
- Prepare and present a synopsis of experience with the Company at the end of the internship.
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
About our Company: We are a growth-oriented, vertically integrated energy company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas). Our non-regulated businesses generate wholesale electricity and produce natural gas, oil and coal.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an EEO Employer.