OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series C, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, Thrive Capital, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
We have surpassed 2,000+ government customers (and growing fast!) in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
About the Junior Solutions Engineer Role:
As a member of OpenGov's Professional Services Solutions team, you will engage in solving technical challenges from extending OpenGov Data platform to take more complicated workflow, to taming complicated data sets, to pushing browsers to their limits with powerful data visualization and analytics.
We're looking for folks with can-do attitudes who go above and beyond. If you’re a self-starter who can take early ideas and quickly iterate to build prototypes and products - we want you!. Our ideal solutions engineer has experience delivering high quality, maintainable code to production, implementing both incremental improvements and large features and architectural advancements. Our engineering culture is centered around hiring smart talent and building world-class software - we stay humble while driving forward with our audacious mission.
• Collecting and understanding customer needs and objectives and scoping solutions to them.
• Deploying OpenGov Open Data solutions for customers, including configuring the solution to unique customer needs
• Developing customized extensions to OpenGov Open Data for different governments and organizations
• Helping develop new features for CKAN
• Developing draft of workflows for upload, download, harvesting data and connection with databases/platforms
• Working with data (lots of it)
• Delighting customers by exceeding their expectations for the solution and the process by which they receive it
• Contributing towards building a great culture in a small team and company
Ideal Candidate Has
• Strong desire to innovate and build world class software that is mission-driven
• 1 year or more of experience and a track record of developing high-quality code in a small, agile team
• Very strong programming skills in Python
• Experience with Postgres and SQLAlchemy
• Linux (Ubuntu/Redhat); AWS
• Experience with Agile methods
• Experience working with Web Services
• Experience in designing the solutions using Business Analysis and Data Visualization Techniques
• Sound judgment and ability to balance idealism and pragmatism in a fast-paced work environment
• 4-year bachelor degree required
• Strong desire to learn and improve, low ego while getting there
What makes OpenGov unique
» Tech: We build functional, reactive TypeScript apps using React and Redux driven by horizontally scaled modern (functional and reactive) Java 10 microservices built on Vert.x and kubernetes. Yep, our front end code looks just like our backend code
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs and SF Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: $80 million, Series C company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Thrive Capital, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
» Perks: Fully stocked kitchens, daily breakfast and catered lunches, gym reimbursement, music room, zen room, foosball and pool table, Unlimited PTO and 11 paid holidays, 95% medical premium coverage for employees, fun events, and more! Just look at www.opengov.com/careers
» Product: Named a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, our cloud solution leverages cutting-edge technology to innovate on the core processes of Government. We're powering more effective and accountable government. Come join us and make a positive social impact!Read Full Description