SGT has an immediate need for an energetic and innovative Linux Systems Administrator in support of the United States Geological Survey (USGS) Earth Resources Observation & Science (EROS) Center (http://eros.usgs.gov/) near Sioux Falls, SD (http://www.siouxfalls.org).
Be part of a dynamic team responsible for Systems Administration of Linux servers supporting the Land Satellites Data System (LSDS) program. Activities include systems administration and maintenance paired with research and prototype activities to enhance project operations. Applicant must be able to work independently and integrate with a team of exceptionally skilled Systems Engineers, Software Engineers, Database Developers, and Science staff, be capable of researching new technologies in support of high-level data production algorithms, communicate well with peers for technical knowledge exchange, and be diligent providing relevant documentation. This full-time position may require occasional travel.
- Experience and/or ability to script, code and automate system infrastructure, tasks and deployment items using bash, Perl and/or Python.
- Experience with custom COTS and OSS building, installation and maintenance from source.
- Experience and/or understanding of storage area networks (SAN) fundamentals, and protocols such as iSCSI and Fibre Channel.
- Experience and/or understanding of machine level virtualization like VMware.
- Experience and/or understanding of application level virtualization like Docker.
- Experience and/or understanding of network file systems (NFS, CIFS, Samba).
- Experience and/or understanding of UNIX/Linux system security guidelines and tools such as CIS benchmarks, iptables, and filesystem-level security, permissions and extended ACLs.
- Experience and/or understanding of tuning and security for web servers such as Apache and Nginx.
- Experience and/or understanding of user authentication and administration with LDAP.
- Understanding of RedHat Package Manager (RPM) creation, building and repository hosting and administration.
- Understanding of hardware and system performance tuning.
- Basic knowledge/experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Understanding of parallel, distributed and clustered file systems, such as Lustre, GlusterFS, Ceph.
- Understanding of routable/non-routable networking and concepts such as Subnetting, VLANs, Network Monitoring, Layer 2 Switching.
- Familiarity with web server communications (such as WSGI) application server deployment and administration with uwsgi or alternative services.
- Familiarity with server-side administration support and hardware performance tuning for relational, noSQL, in-memory, or data structure-based database systems such as MySQL, Postgres, and Cassandra.
- Familiarity with distributed processing frameworks like Hadoop, Mesos/Marathon, Spark, Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with system administration configuration management frameworks such as Ansible/Saltstack.
- Familiarity and/or understanding with using and administering version control systems such as Git and Subversion.
- Familiarity with any system-level and cluster monitoring systems such as Xymon and Ganglia.
- Familiarity with any enterprise file system level backup solution such as Commvault or equivalent.
- Familiarity with DevOps/Cloud desired.
Education: Associates degree in Computer Science or related field.
Experience: 2-3+ years of experience in Linux systems administration and kickstart installation automation with Redhat-based Linux distributions such as CentOS, RedHat, OpenSuSE.
At least 2+ years of light software/scripting and development experience or exposure.
Candidates must have strong technical knowledge, excellent communication skills, and a teamwork emphasis. Candidates must also be able to integrate into a highly-skilled Team.
Exceptional customer service orientation enabling identification and understanding of client needs to ensure fulfillment of customer requests.
The candidate must be able to obtain and maintain a national agency check and background investigation after hire to obtain a badge for facility access and user accounts.
This position will be posted to the career opportunities listing on the SGT website (http://www.sgt-inc.com/careers
This position may be filled by a SGT teammate on the TSSC Contract. Please apply online.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of the SGT is to provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. SGT hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. SGT believes that employees should be provided with a working environment which enables them to be productive and to work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. We expect and require the cooperation of all employees in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.