Job Description Summary
Responsible for the accounting of cross divisional Base Costs activities including fixed assets, payroll, benefits, postage, insurance, leases, and other corporate activities. Responsibilities include oversight of cost center financial reports, preparation of monthly journal entries, financial analysis, balance sheet reconciliations, and maintaining related policies and procedures. Assist with accounting for other cost center areas as assigned. Ensure the Society books and records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Participate in special projects as instructed by management including assistance with audit preparation and other tasks.
- Responsible for maintaining the Society's Fixed Asset subledger and related accounting to include maintenance of subsystem, monthly journal entries, month end reconciliations, year-end audit preparation and prepare budget/projection estimates. Responsibilities include ensuring compliance with GAAP and the Society’s capitalization policy as well as the tracking, monitoring and reporting of capitalized projects/assets including building renovations and leasehold improvements, leases in accordance with the new accounting guidance, systems, and website development. (30%)
- Responsible for the financial reporting of 25 cost centers and corporate functions including the identification of transactions that need to be billed to NG Partners, and front-line responsibility to record and review corporate, operations, and technology allocations, prepaid contracts, real estate tax schedules, royalties, expense reclassifications, and related coordination with the Finance & Planning team and project managers. (20%)
- Responsible for ensuring the recording of the Society's domestic payroll and benefit entries to include posting from subsystem, monthly accrual, balance sheet reconciliations and coordination with Payroll and Human Resources staff, and recording any international payroll and other ad-hoc payroll entries as needed, and preparation of monthly benefit analysis/projections. (20%)
- Responsible for assisting with the monthly closing of the books for assigned areas including journal entry preparation and subsequent account analyses/reconciliations related to assigned cost centers. Maintain the integrity of all accounting records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and company policies. Maintain all written policies and procedures within assigned area of responsibility. (20%)
- Develop positive relationships with the managers and staff members of assigned cost centers, providing them with necessary financial results and analyses, explanation of Society's accounting policies and procedures and other general business guidance. Communicate with Finance Division management, both verbally and in writing, on matters involving assigned cost centers. (10%)
Minimum Education Required
Bachelor's degree in Accounting. CPA preferred
Minimum Years and Type of Experience
Minimum of 4-5 years of experience in a non-profit accounting environment or in public accounting with not-for-profit experience.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Knowledge of GAAP for not-for-profits (FASB ASC 958) accounting and reporting
- Strong demonstrated accounting skills, experience with GAAP for Not-For-Profits accounting and reporting and ability to perform technical GAAP research
- Ability to identify problems, develop solutions and take action to resolve issues in assigned areas of responsibility
- Accurate and detailed oriented, ability to perform in-depth research, account analysis and reconciliation.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Motivated and dependable, and able to work with limited direction and supervision
- Strong organization skills
- Advanced PC skills including, Microsoft Office applications with advanced excel and enterprise GL solutions
- Ability to prioritize workload, multi-task, manage time efficiently, and meet required deadlines
- Knowledge of Workday is a plus
Responsibility percentages may vary depending on business needs.
National Geographic's headquarters is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. In addition to a unique and dynamic work environment, National Geographic offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental benefits, generous vacation and leave time, a 401(k) plan, and flexible work options. National Geographic is an Equal Opportunity Employer