POSITION SUMMARY: This role establishes the technical implementation approach and provides the technical direction and guidance to the development team. The responsibilities include; technical leadership and oversight, providing realistic estimates of engineering effort, adherence to architectural standards and directing, or influencing, the work of others.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
Essential Functions: which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships with business partners, customers and IT personnel including: Architects, Project Managers, Solution Architects, Scrum Masters, Software Developers, Business Analysts and Quality Assurance.
- Works closely with Project Manager and Scrum Master to support project delivery from technical stand point
- Partnering with Business Analysts and solution Architects for new development projects, systems enhancements and maintenance projects.
- Works with and through cross functional teams to help architect and estimate software solutions.
- Partnering with infrastructure, architecture, and database services to ensure overall systems scalability, reliability, and performance.
- Regular attendance.
- Support BMI core values and cultivate a culture of diversity and inclusion.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Provides technical leadership on all assigned projects to ensure delivery of valuable solutions in alignment with BMI’s business needs, technological platform architecture, and overall SDLD. This includes understanding business requirements, adhering to technical architecture standards, recommending technical design, monitoring development and testing efforts, resolving technical issues, making technical decisions, and supporting deployment of the product.
- In the absence of a PMO Project Manager and Scrum Master, leads all aspects of multiple projects concurrently consisting of both business as usual and/or strategically forward thinking initiatives.
- Establishes the technical implementation approach and drives the technical design and development of projects, both legacy and new platform technologies. Examples include projects relying on some of the following technologies, i.e. Java, .NET, Mainframe Cobol/CICS, Portal, Oracle, Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), master data management (MDM), complex rules and event architecture, business intelligence (BI) and data governance (DG).
- Must be hands-on; working with the engineering team to lead the day-to-day development activities by leading/implementing architecture decisions, participation in designs, design review, code review and implementation.
- Maintaining technical knowledge to support rapidly changing technology, always looking out for new technologies and working with the management and development team when evaluating new technologies.
- Mentors developers and ensures relevant on boarding is provided
- Documents technical specifications and requirements.
- May directly supervise consultants.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands: Physical/visual activities or demands that are commonly associated with the performance functions of this job.
- Sitting, talking, hearing, walking.
- Concentrated mental and visual attention with normal hand-eye coordination.
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches; corrected or uncorrected.
- Generally negligible physical effort, but occasional moving of 1 to 10 lb. items.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the functions of this job.
Normal office conditions.
Must be willing to work after hours and weekends if needed.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent years of experience. Preferred degree in Computer Science or Math.
- Industry standard source control systems.
- Experience with industry standard communication protocols.
- Agile software development methodologies.
- Seven (7) or more years of software development experience.
- Three (3) or more years of technical leadership experience; subject matter expertise.
- In-depth development experience in one or more of the following areas: .NET, Java, J2EE, (JSP/Servlets/EJB), Mainframe Cobol/JCL/CICS, IBM Integration and ESB products (IIB / WESB /MQ /DataPower /WSRR)
- Strong SQL experience: Oracle preferred.
- Experience with industry standard messaging and communication protocols.
Skills and Abilities: which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Strong Relationship and Team Skills
- Strong Analytical and Problem Solving Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Able to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences; including presentation of data, answering questions and listening to concerns
- Able to document technical information effectively
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids:
Personal computer and associated software. Normal office equipment.