POSITION SUMMARY: Increases BMI's market share by performing the following duties either personally or through the direction of others.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
Essential Functions: which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Understands BMI's competitive pressures and how those matters impact BMI writers and publishers.
- Recruits new songwriters and music publishers who have the potential to become the creators and owners of the world's most popular music.
- Manages the relationship between BMI and its more successful affiliates.
- Evaluates affiliate royalty earnings to assist senior management in determining the appropriateness of advances or guarantees.
- Solves problems that arise between BMI and its affiliates.
- Negotiates with writers and publishers to continue their affiliation and manages termination requests.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with music industry executives and professionals.
- Develops new relationships with up-and-coming music professionals, songwriters, artists and tastemakers to secure future talent for BMI.
- Attends music industry events as a representative of BMI in order to maintain BMI’s profile and increase contacts.
- Creates and presents programs to industry and community groups regarding BMI.
- Facilitates the relationships between BMI affiliates and the music industry by networking with industry professionals.
- Manages expense accounts for BMI expenses on an accurate and timely basis.
- Reviews recorded material sent to BMI by affiliates and compose correspondence in reply.
- Analyze affiliate royalties income to project future earnings to support bank loans.
- Becomes heavily involved in industry affairs with the goal of establishing and maintaining contacts for BMI affiliates and enhancing BMI’s visibility in the music industry.
- Monitors new trends in music and new business developments, identifies and analyzes the effects on BMI, its repertoire and its affiliates, and instigates new tactics to react early to these changes
- Works with senior executives on special projects, such as showcases, studies and meetings, as requested.
- Regular attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Supports our BMI Core Values and cultivates a culture of diversity and inclusion.
As needed, may directly supervises departmental employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands: Physical/visual activities or demands that are commonly associated with the performance functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting, talking, hearing, walking.
- Concentrated mental and visual attention with normal hand-eye coordination.
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches; corrected or uncorrected.
- Generally negligible physical effort, but occasional moving of 1 to 10 lb. items.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the functions of this job.
Normal office conditions.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred.
Experience: Minimum five (5) years’ experience in the music industry
Skills and Abilities: This may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
- Ability to analyze songs and music for commercial success
- Working knowledge of the song and music process from conception to hit status
- Working knowledge of music industry trade and professional organizations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Experience working with and maintaining database systems and reports, as well as word processing and spreadsheets.
- Able to establish a constructive and informative relationship with employees, management, writers and publishers
- Ability to interact professionally with a divers employee population, and with all levels of staff and management
- Able to work independently and with good judgment
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments to meet deadlines
- Strong typing and proofreading skills
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids: which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
Personal computer and associated software. Normal office equipment.
License(s)/Certifications Required: None.