Senior Product Manager (Recommendations)
At Medium, words matter. We are building the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager, Recommendations to help drive the growth and advancement of of Medium’s recommendations engine. In this role, you’ll work closely with software engineers and data scientists to improve the quality of the recommendations engines. You'll develop advanced algorithms that help shape the future of Medium’s products. You’ll have an outsized impact on Medium’s growth and work on one of the most technically advanced recommendations engines in the world.
At Medium, we are proud of our product, our team, and our culture. Medium’s website and mobile apps are accessed by millions of users each day. Our mission is to move thinking forward by providing a place where individuals, along with publishers, can share stories and their perspectives.
What Will You Do?
• Develop and own the product roadmap for Medium’s recommendations and personalization products.
• Gather, understand, and prioritize requirements, research potential solutions, rapidly build prototypes, and distil and communicate what was learned, expected risks, necessary resources, potential concerns.
• Integrate recommendations algorithms with UX/UI design and other product features.
• Uses data driven approach to identify new product opportunities and enhancements. Identify product gaps, generate new ideas, and influence investment decisions to improve the product’s capabilities.
• You’ll influence, educate, and advocate on tactical product decisions as well as the strategic directions to enable the next slate of great product innovations.
• Drive strategic product decisions via evaluation of market trends and meticulous retrospective and prospective analysis of product and revenue performance
• Define the business goals and own the results for your product area
• Work cross-functionally with engineers and designers to define, spec, and ship feature sets related to your product area.
Who are you?
• You have 4+ years of experience using mathematical modeling and machine learning to solve business problems, especially recommendation systems.
• You have two or more years of experience developing recommendation and analytics solutions with a proven track record of delivering meaningful business value.
• You can communicate a deep understanding of the customer, the problem, and the solution with clear alignment and line of sight back to the business objectives.
• You can prioritize challenges, problems and opportunities based on business rationale and customer need to drive product priorities
• You have Fluency with data; experience in machine learning, data science, or financial modeling is ideal
• You can identify key product needs and frame them as the appropriate machine learning problems
• You have experience with search, algorithms, reference data, recommendation engines and rules engines.
• You have experience defining and modeling a consumable API
• You’ve designed and shipped personalization and recommendations products in a consumer tech space (preferably publishing), and have at least 6 years of relevant experience
• You are an innovative thinker that thrives in ambiguity.
• You’re an articulate and persuasive communicator, as both a writer and a speaker, who uses data to support your arguments.
Nice to have:
• Experience with User Engagement metrics as well as recommendations engines and search relevancy. Measuring success of recommendations engines.
• Experience with A/B Testing, User Testing, Data-driven, Design thinking, Qualitative and Quantitative data analysis
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We understand the value of diverse backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.