Instacart is building the best way for people anywhere in the world to shop for groceries. Since Instacart started in 2012, we’ve launched same-day delivery in 200 US markets. We are laser focused on delivering groceries from your favorite stores right to your door. We now cover over 60% of US households and aim to have 80% coverage by the end 2018—that's 90 million households! From a technology point of view, the platform is complex, rapidly scaling and processing millions of transactions in real-time all of the time. Our technology coupled with operational expertise enables Instacart to deliver fresh groceries in as little as an hour. This is a difficult problem to master and we are making it happen. Every day, we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customers that is absolutely magical.
About the Consumer Brands Group
We're looking for engineers to join our Consumer Brands Group, where we are reinventing the way brands connect with consumers, incentivizing trial with savings offers, and optimizing campaign returns through personalization & targeting.
If you’re looking for a big growth opportunity, we may be what you’re looking for!
- We are in “Day 1” of online grocery shopping going mainstream (from 4% to 20% in next 5 years).
- We have partnerships with the vast majority of the top 25 consumer brands in the U.S.
- Our end-to-end purchase funnel data offers a unique advantage in personalization and insights.
What do we focus on? We build end-to-end products connecting consumers with brands.
- Consumers - We help consumers save money with personalized offers, using machine learning to improve search relevancy and affinity rankings. We also help consumers discover new products through samples, recipes, influencers, and other rich media.
- Brands - We help brands reach new consumer audiences and drive greater loyalty. We collaborate closely with brand partners to prototype new offerings.
- Instacart - We improve Instacart’s value proposition for cost-conscious consumers; sponsorship revenue generated through our products is a key contributor towards Instacart’s profitability.
What’s our tech stack?
We build our technology with the aim of providing customers with personalized, high-quality offerings. We think deeply about how our content brings value beyond the pixels it takes up.
Our tech stack includes:
- Ruby on Rails for applications
- Postgres, Elasticsearch, and Cassandra for data stores
- Memcached and Redis for caching
- Kinesis for stream processing
- Sidekiq for job processing
- You will be part of a small team, with a large amount of ownership and responsibility for managing things directly.
- You will ship high quality solutions with a sense of urgency and speed.
- You will work closely with product managers, other teams, and both internal and external stakeholders, owning a large part of the process from problem understanding to shipping the solution.
- You will have the freedom to suggest and drive organization-wide initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or equivalent work experience
- Ownership and self-motivation
- A blend of product, system, and people knowledge that lets you jump into a fast paced environment and contribute from day one
- Extensive experience working with a large codebase and cross functional teams
- Interest or experience in distributed systems
- Strong ability to analyze data
- Experience with AI / learning / data modeling
- Talented and collaborative coworkers who will both push and support you
- Market competitive salary, equity
- Medical, dental, vision benefits and 401(k) retirement plan
- Take what you need vacation (and we really mean it)
- 16 weeks maternity leave / 8 weeks paternity leave so you can truly bond with your child
- Complimentary Instacart express membership
- Tech Blog
- Life at Instacart
- Team Stories