Cascadia Consulting Group is a women-owned, private environmental consulting firm that develops and
implements innovative solutions to today’s environmental challenges. Cascadia has a 25-year history of
working with public and private-sector clients to advance sustainability through recycling and materials
management, climate change mitigation and adaptation, energy efficiency, and water and natural
resources management. The Cascadia team brings both expertise and creative thinking to research and
analysis, strategic planning, program design and implementation, and outreach and evaluation. From
our offices in Seattle, Oakland, and Austin, we serve clients across the country and abroad. Our mission
is to inspire and empower communities everywhere to protect and restore our world.
Cascadia aspires to be a multicultural organization and seeks to hire individuals who offer new
perspectives and contribute to our cultural fluency. We value employees who are aware of their own
cultural lens and the impact it has on their interactions and work, and who can effectively connect
across culture and difference, including race, class, gender identity, sexual orientation, and physical
ability. Additionally, we hire individuals who value a collaborative, fast-paced work environment, who
think creatively and communicate effectively, and who work hard to get the job done well. Consulting is
about taking initiative, solving problems, and serving clients, so we seek staff members with skills in
Cascadia’s marketing and business development (BD) team is seeking a skilled and savvy writer to
support deadline-driven writing efforts with outstanding critical thinking, coordination, and editorial
skills. This person will provide marketing and BD support across three lines of business: Recycling &
Materials Management, Climate & Natural Resource Management, and Education, Communication &
Outreach. Additional tasks may include writing and coordination support for website, social media, and
targeted marketing activities, and editorial support for client-facing deliverables. Strong candidates will
be comfortable developing clear and engaging prose from notes and outlines, prioritizing around tight
deadlines and balancing competing priorities, communicating proactively and professionally with
colleagues and partners, tailoring writing styles for specific needs, and maintaining perspective (and
humor!) during times of stress. This position will report to Cascadia’s Senior Proposal Manager and will
be supported by an editorial board and graphic design team.
Examples of work include the following:
▪ Review incoming business opportunities (RFPs and RFQs), assess needs, and support evaluation
and strategy processes. Develop proposal outlines that are responsive to RFP/Q requirements.
▪ Coordinate proposal writing and development with internal colleagues and external partners.
▪ Draft original proposal narratives from strategy meetings, notes, and outlines.
▪ Write and refresh marketing content that tells the story of Cascadia’s people, work, and impact.
▪ Maintain an electronic library of tailored company descriptions, project case studies, bios,
resumes, and related materials.
▪ Work with marketing and creative teams to bolster Cascadia’s online/social media relevance.
Cascadia Consulting Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diverse perspectives and life experiences.
People of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
This position requires a candidate with the following qualifications:
▪ Two years of experience writing for professional audiences OR equivalent academic credentials
(graduate-level studies or undergraduate degree in writing/communications field).
▪ Demonstrated ability to manage multiple deadlines, set priorities, and handle quick timelines.
▪ Strong verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to communicate
complex issues clearly using simple, clear, and audience-appropriate language.
▪ Grace under pressure, including the ability to meet deadlines without sacrificing quality.
▪ Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Word.
▪ Strong interpersonal skills and ability to handle challenging situations with tact and sensitivity.
▪ Excellent organizational and documentation skills, along with great attention to detail.
▪ Interest in environmental, social justice, and/or or natural resource issues.
▪ Patience, empathy, and a sense of humor.
▪ Ability to produce responsive, high-quality work with minimal guidance or oversight.
Other valued skills include:
▪ Familiarity with style guides (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.)
▪ Previous experience with proposal or grant writing for mission-driven organizations.
▪ Experience using collaborative tools such as Google Drive, Sharepoint, Trello, etc.
▪ An eye for design and/or experience with Adobe InDesign or Illustrator.
▪ Cross-cultural experience, and bilingual or multilingual skills are a plus.
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position based in Seattle. The work may require flexible hours and
may have designated hours including weekends and evenings. Occasional travel may be required,
including meetings and other activities outside standard work hours and sometimes including overnight
stays. Salary will be based on experience and competitive with jobs in the environmental sector. We
offer a generous benefit package, including health insurance for employees at or above 60% full-time
equivalent, 401(k) with an employer match, life insurance, long-term disability, transportation subsidies,
flexible spending accounts, and paid time off.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and indicate “Business
Development Coordinator- [Your Name]” in the subject line. Your cover letter should address your
ability to meet the criteria in the Required Qualifications section and highlight relevant experience,
education, and why you are interested in this position. Please state where you learned about the
position. Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm (Pacific) on June 29, 2018.