Postmates runs one of the largest real-time delivery fleets in the country. Building a software platform that is reliable, scales and stays agile under demanding product needs is a serious technical challenge. Postmates isn’t just another ad platform or mobile app for delivering static user generated content: We have real customers paying real money for a real service, all in minutes.
As a Data Reliability Engineer, you will serve as the bridge between our data engineering and analytics teams. You will have your finger on the pulse of the company, always seeking to understand where data is coming from, what new data types and sources are needed, and how to best unlock our data for key decision making. You will work to build efficient data pipelines and get data into the best format for consumption, by both technical and non-technical users. You will become an expert in the systems we use to transform data (AWS/GCP services, Airflow) and increase the availability, accuracy, reliability and timeliness of usable data, all the while “making it look easy" to our data customers. You will maintain and improve the systems we use to transform data, and in the process, develop a deep understanding of the data itself.
Every day you will learn. We love learning, and we expect that you will learn new things and teach us new things as we build out the Postmates data infrastructure.
- Write extract/transform/load (ETL) processes to automate processes using a variety of traditional and large-scale distributed data systems.
- Explore data sources to better understand the availability and quality of data.
- Create, design and maintain reusable datasets for analysis.
- Help automate the creation of reports and dashboards.
- Educate leads, product managers, analysts, and other engineers about how best to use our systems to answer hard business questions and make better decisions using data.
- You have a curiosity about how things work.
- You have extensive experience with SQL, Python, and maintaining ETLs that operate on a variety of structured and unstructured sources.
- You are a database and SQL whiz. Relational databases, queries, database definition and schema design get you pumped
- You are an analytical and a strategic thinker -- data is more than just numbers to you and you can connect the dots to understand business impact.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You love it when things work, you understand that things break, and when things do fail you dive in to understand the root causes of failure and fix whatever needs work.
- A Masters degree (or higher) in a technical or quantitative field (C.S., Math, Physics, Engineering…)
- AWS development and operations experience (EMR, s3, data pipelines, etc.)
- Experience with an Analytics team
- A solid math and statistics background
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- We'll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- Catered lunches and open snack bar
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Full support to contribute to open source projects
- Incredible office located in Financial District just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans