Passionate about building massively scalable systems? Want to work with a top-class team of engineers and make a billion-dollar impact? If so, here is an opportunity tailored for you.
Postmates is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead its Merchant Engineering team. The merchant team sits in the middle of our three-sided marketplace, presenting partner restaurants to customers and connecting to our fleet. We provide a compelling value proposition which allows local merchants to leverage our technology to grow their business in the new era of “on demand” ordering.
The systems that the Director will oversee enable new partners to quickly get on-boarded and fulfill live orders, but also over time to improve their businesses with insights and other tools. You will work closely with product leadership, sales, account management and a strong operational team to achieve these goals alongside an ever growing base of partners. The technical platform is broad and covers back-end systems (payments, inventory management), mobile (Android tablet POS), and a public-facing web portal. There is a small but strong existing engineering team with leadership expertise in each of these domains.
Postmates is on a mission to help people unlock the best of their cities -- and their lives, with an insanely reliable on-demand “everything” network. We’re the first and still leading company in the on-demand space -- with a fleet of +100,000 Postmates, the largest network of merchants in the U.S. and a brand that has become a pop culture verb. We’re looking for people who aren’t afraid to be first -- or eccentric, and who are passionate about creating the new, new.
What You'll Do:
- Grow the organization while maintaining technical productivity and reliability.
- Provide leadership and management for the merchant engineering workgroups (web, mobile, and server).
- Evolve the organizational structure to advance both technical and execution capabilities.
- Champion an environment of integrity, empowerment, initiative and teamwork; support high retention.
- Coach the outstanding engineers and managers on the team, helping them advance in their careers.
- Navigate complex technical and organizational ambiguity with an ability to communicate calmly and clearly.
- Deliver on both the technical and product roadmap for the merchant organization.
What You Bring:
- Technical expertise with relevant technologies (Python, Postgres, Android, scalable applications on AWS and GCP) but with a strong bent towards people management in an engineering setting.
- Experience working with the application layer for products with significant usage, whether enterprise or consumer-facing.
- Strong prior experience as an engineering manager, including managing both individual contributors and other managers.
- Capable project management abilities and comfort in executing goals and evaluating progress on a quarterly basis.
- Detail-obsession—you know every corner of your product, every metric that matters, and know your customers better than anyone else.
- “On demand” and/or prior e-commerce experience.
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- We'll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- Catered lunches and open snack bar
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Full support to contribute to open source projects
- Awesome office located just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans