At Freshly, our mission is to make our customers happy, healthy and more free to pursue their passions. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. This is your chance at being part of history and future success. We are looking for a Director of Food Safety & Quality for our facility in Phoenix, AZ.
You will provide leadership and guidance for all food safety, quality assurance, and related regulatory compliance in the production and shipping of ready to eat prepackaged ROP/MAP Meals. Ensures company procedures are followed and are continually being met in daily operations in Phoenix, AZ. Skills such as auditing, process evaluation, hazard assessment, risk management strategies, and root cause analysis, will be utilized to achieve business objectives and facilitate continuous improvement. Understands, defines and communicates through the development of standards and models the best practices for the management of food safety, sanitation and consistency in quality.
- Provide support and professional leadership for QA and Sanitation Managers and their teams.
- Oversight of all Food Safety & QA programs to ensure regulatory compliance and continuous improvement and consistent enforcement of quality practices throughout the facility
- Lead audit teams during audits of facilities and co-manufacturers and drive consistency
- Assist with standardization of sanitary operating procedures by observing and identifying areas in need of improvement and implement programs to ensure production processes are consistent with established standards
- Be pro-active and ready for all regulatory reviews
- Effectively communicate food safety and ingredient/product quality concerns to management team
- Assist in monitoring the plant environmental conditions and establish trend reports for elimination of problematic areas
- Develops, implements, trains, and maintains all quality programs, HACCP programs, SOPs, SSOPs, to ensure compliance with FSMA and local health department standards.
- Oversees Traceability and Recall Program for the Phoenix facility.
- Works with cross functional team to ensure compliance with Supplier Qualification program.
- Oversees root cause analysis in the investigation of customer complaints and drives improvement plans
- Ensures training compliance for food safety and quality requirements
- Previous food plant manufacturing experience is required, ready-to-eat foods preferred, with a solid working knowledge of food safety and quality assurance, sanitation, food manufacturing, packaging, and distribution.
- Proficient with implementation of GFSI Standards
- Previous food safety management systems training and implementation experience
- HACCP/HARPC certification and experienced in the implementation and maintenance of HACCP / Food Safety Plans, as well as a solid understanding of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)
- Experience with ERP System Implementation is preferred
- Must be capable of working in a fast-paced environment with minimal direct supervision and have strong demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, and self-initiative skills and possess a strong work ethic
- Detail oriented with strong problem-solving abilities and capabilities in leading multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- PC proficiency
Nice to Have(s)
- Bachelor degree in relevant technical field required
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a Leadership role in human food production, RTE foods experience preferred.
- USDA/FDA regulatory experience required
- HACCP/HARPC, GFSI, and PCQI certifications preferred
- Food Production Plant and Office Environment.
- Travel may be requested during new facility start-ups, new program implementation, training and visiting suppliers.
Freshly delivers chef-prepared, ready-to-eat healthy meals to customers’ doorsteps through a weekly subscription model. The menu is designed using whole, natural ingredients - every meal is packed with high-quality proteins, heart-healthy fats, and nutrient-dense carbohydrates. Freshly meals NEVER contain gluten, refined sugars, or artificial additives. Freshly’s team of chefs do all the cooking and meals arrive fresh (never frozen) and are ready to eat within 3 minutes. For more information, visit www.freshly.com.
Here's some recent chatter about us:
WSJ - Nestle Buys Stake in Freshly, Putting Healthy Food On The Menu
Fortune - Nestle Leads $77M Funding Round In Meal-Delivery Startup Freshly
Techcrunch - Nestlé leads $77M Round For Healthy Meal Startup Freshly
We pride ourselves on our fast-paced and fun environment and above all value transparency, communication, and collaboration. We are always learning, growing, and taking risks – if this sounds like an environment where you would thrive, we’d love to hear from you!