Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$500 million through the platform to fund over 12,000 students from over 120 countries.
Our team of over 150 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, AlphaCode, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced Mobile Engineer who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fastgrowing company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 120 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a small non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in Cape Town.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding – exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a startup culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech startup, backed by one of the top European VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
Get to grips with basic web outputs by providing team support and shadowing senior team members. Support more senior team members on projects and work on own smaller projects. Focus on internal relationships with team members.
Specific responsibilities are to:
- Be an integral and trusted member of the tech team
- Be a mentor to new team members and handle a full caseload of hands-on coding/ implementation projects
- Execute a number of projects which contribute to the build of our platform
- Take responsibility for coding core-feature implementation projects and greenfield projects
- Make an impactful contribution, ask great questions, and execute high quality work
- Classify, store and handle data in accordance with policies
- Take responsibility for the state of the code you both inherit and produce
- Research and stay abreast of key technical developments as well as industry trends and innovations
What you will be measured on
- Technical acumen; writing code for our mobile and web applications using React, NodeJS, React Native and Redux, VueJS, Webpack, Babel (with some gentle sprinkles of Objective C / Swift and Java / Kotlin as required)
- Working with our product owners, design and UX minds to ensure that we deliver continuous value to our growing base of customers
- Critical judgement; become a trusted and respected member of the team
- Contribution to the team; deliver the projects on time and be proactive and responsive
- Mindfulness; become aware of how your work and your behaviour impacts the wider result and the impact, not only on the platform build, but on the whole Prodigy Finance team
What you need to be great at
- Technical competence; love coding, able to learn new paradigms quickly and look to continuously improve and find better ways of doing things
- You can take a feature or product all the way from conception to release
- Excellent critical judgement; able to make good decisions, be trusted, respected and dependable, be proactive and responsive, ask the right questions, raise flags at the right time, able to prioritize and plan your own individual tasks
- Mindfulness; be considerate of the implications of your work, really care about what you are doing and the impact of your contribution
- Teamwork and team spirit; we are all contributing to the same platform, so you need to not only be a great individual contributor but be more motivated by the achievements of the whole team - we only win if the team wins, see the impact of your own work and positively influence and help the work of others
- Getting up to the front of the bus; get stuck in, execute, generate ideas, have an impact, don’t just sit back and be a passenger
- Understand the importance of testing your code and how it reduces risk in making changes and refactoring
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- 2 – 4 years’ experience in programming
- Strong appreciation for UI/UX standards and a passion for developing beautiful interfaces
- One application released to either the Google Play or Apple App Store
- Experience with Continuous Integration systems for mobile applications (We use Microsoft AppCenter)
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full
- software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Ideally you will have some experience with the Redux unidirectional data flow pattern, Redux-Saga experience would be highly advantageous
- Native mobile experience, in either iOS or Android
- Integrating with backend APIs
- Start-up experience. Sometimes the earth moves beneath your feet at Prodigy Finance, so you've got to be comfortable with ambiguity, able to wear lots of hats, and adapt easily as we continue to grow
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next Mobile Developer? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.