182317 Senior Mechanical Development Engineer (Open)
Job title: Senior Mechanical Development Engineer
About the role - You will:
Work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Network with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.
Have extensive experience in a Mechanical Development Engineering role, with a focus on:
- Sheet metal design process and manufacturing methods. Knowledge regarding feature dimensional tolerance capabilities in sheet-metal a plus (eg: hole to hole tolerance, tolerance through bends, edge to hole tolerance).
- An in depth understanding of GD&T
- BOM and configuration management
- Plastic part design: An understanding how to minimize part complexity, reducing piece part cost and tooling cost. The candidate will be able to review mold flow analysis provided by 3rd party plastic suppliers and make appropriate design changes.
- Design for manufacture / design for cost analysis with internal and external teams
- Creating solid models, drawings, specifications for mechanical components
- Lab testing to verify component / assembly function
- An excellent standard of communication of technical information in written and verbal formats.
- The ability to work effectively both individually and in a cross-functional team environment.
- Thermal analysis and definition of cooling solutions for high power density electronics products.
- Vibration simulation, measurement, analysis and control.
- Demonstrable experience of analysis of and generating innovative solutions to complex engineering problems.
- Additionally, some or all of the following would be an advantage:
- Experience with mechanical and environmental verification testing including: vibration (random and sinusoidal), shock, temperature, humidity, and acoustics.
- Ability to operate CFD & FEA software and interpret simulation work conducted by other engineers (FloTHERM & Creo Simulate would be an advantage).
- Experience with development of products which require agency approvals (UL, CE, TUV etc.).
About our Group:
- Seagate Cloud Systems group is a division within Seagate Technology that designs and develops storage systems.
- These systems are general “Black Box” or can be customer specific rack systems.
- The type of systems are mainly storage enclosures: high and low density, JBOD, App Server, and data protected enclosure.
- Seeking a challenging and rewarding work environment.
- A self-starter who requires minimal oversight
- A continuous learner
- Comfortable as a team lead, team player, or individual contributor
- Take ownership of problems and drive to successful conclusion
- Can have fun even when working hard
Your experience includes:
- Solidworks greatly preferred (PCT Creo is an acceptable alternative)
- BOM management experience required (AGILE preferred)
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Microsoft Project experience desired
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field or equivalent experience
You might also have:
- This position is located in our Longmont, CO location.
- Some international and domestic travel to work with suppliers and customers required.
Job Family: Engineering Professional