21 May 2018
Barclays moves, lends, invests and protects money for customers and clients worldwide. Please visit our website here for more information.
Financial Control is responsible for the preparation of statutory, regulatory, tax and management reports for Barclays. It ensures integrity of financial information by implementing and monitoring appropriate controls throughout the organisation. In addition, a primary role of Financial Control is to collaborate with the businesses we support to develop innovative ways of adding shareholder value. This is achieved by striving to execute in a consistent and timely manner, and by implementing best practices globally across the division.
The role sits within the Barclays Bank Ireland (BBI) Financial Control team which is responsible for all aspects of Financial and Regulatory Reporting to internal and external stakeholders. The team works with the BBI Finance reporting team and partners with businesses and functions for strategic development and implementation of change requirements for BBI external reporting
Overall purpose of role:
To work within the BBI Financial Control team:
Initially on the project to deliver the expansion of the existing legal entity as part of Barclays response to the European referendum (“ERRP”)
Develop and lead the regulatory reporting team who are responsible for internal and external regulatory requirement
Key Accountabilities and Skills required:
Key specific accountabilities
- Support and manage the overall BBI regulatory reporting finance work stream plan, clearly identifying key milestones, critical path and dependencies. Manage deliverables on plan to agreed milestones, working to clearly defined final delivery date
- Identify and manage all major issues and risks, working with key BBI Finance and ERRP stakeholders to identify mitigating actions and impact on final delivery for each of these as they arise. Identify/anticipate obstacles and analyse and propose resolutions
- Work with the Finance ERRP project managers to ensure all required E2E people, process, and system changes have been indentified across the Finance functions impacted by SRP
- Understand the testing required across Finance to support ERRP go-live, and support the coordination of E2E testing activities across Finance SR workstreams (including test scenarios; test data requirements etc.)
- Follow agreed Project Management governance and reporting principles
Business as Usual Accountabilities
- Support the team in establishing a robust capital reporting framework and data infrastructure to facilitate business management in an efficient and effective manner. Build flexibility into the system to move in step with business demands, as well as, regulatory requirements.
- Develop and monitor a comprehensive set of key capital indicators. Develop cluster/ business line diagnostics to assess, quantify and mitigate risks in these areas.
- Provide support to the team in decision support and analytics for policy monitoring across all products and regions.
- Running the BBI reporting timetable, ensuring all external deadlines are met without fail.
- Engage with regulators and auditors to ensure compliance and proper representation of our policies/ practices.
- Manage governance process and ensure compliance at the BBI and Barclays Group level.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
- Assist in the development and management of a communication strategy, preparing status reporting, providing visibility on status and transparency of risks and issues for multiple levels of stakeholders
- Maintain and actively manage the stakeholder map and communications plan
- Assist the project team in conflict resolution, navigating barriers and political sensitivities
Decision-making and Problem Solving
- Analyse problems and evaluate options in a logical and systematic way
- Seeks the advice of stakeholders to better create clarity in complex situations, understand problems, evaluate options and recommend decisions
- Demonstrate leadership through a good understanding of how the bank operates and the metrics used to measure performance
Risk and Control
- The role holder will ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Barclays Operational Risk Framework and internal Barclay’s policies and standards.
Your Skills and Qualifications will include
Previous experience within the Financial Control function in a top tier Bank
- Experience of working with Technology to deliver complex projects. Experience of managing projects across the full development lifecycle
Strong organisational skills. Flexible and proactive work style
Proven ability to meet tight timelines.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and stakeholder management skills. Able to work with and present to senior stakeholders.
- Experience of working across multiple business areas, functions and locations.
- A team player.
- Excellent PC skills, including Excel, Word & MS Suite
- Qualified Accountant with a strong understanding of IFRS accounting rules
- Formal external qualification/accreditation in project/Programme management methodology
- Working knowledge of Barclays – goals, financials, staff numbers and structure.
- Strong analytical/problem solving mindset but with the ability and willingness to get into the details to find solutions.
- Knowledge of Agile delivery.