Beginning of the main content section.
Return to the home page
Job Description - Mechanical Design Engineer (180000D2)
Mechanical Design Engineer - 180000D2
This Mechanical Design engineer position is for an experience design engineer. The right person will be responsible for the mechanical design of subsystems and parts of a new 3D bio-printer for the Lung Biotechnology. This development effort is for printing scaffolding for targeted human organs.
Press release: https://www.3dsystems.com/press-releases/3d-systems-and-united-therapeutics-announce-bioprinting-agreement
As part of 3D Systems’ design team, the Mechanical Engineer will participate in the conceptualization, development, and documentation of new 3D bio printing systems. Applicants should have a sound intuitive understanding of the physical world, experience designing complex electromechanical products, strong academic and work references, and excellent communication skills.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
Architect and develop electromechanical systems for 3D bio printing through the entire design lifecycle, including: Investigation and feasibility analysis, system and part design, validation and test execution, and stabilization for high volume manufacturing.
Design printer systems and mechanisms.
Work with other engineers in 3D Systems and partners at Lung Biotechnology to plan and coordinate the work.
Efficient at designing and building effective prototypes as well as final product.
Perform adequate analysis of own designs like structural, vibration and thermal analysis.
Maintain engineering historical database including part number and tool number logs, CAD files, hard copies, scanning vendor prints, project files, technical construction files, engineering and production release documentation.
Perform root cause analysis and work towards resolution that meets customer and business needs.
Set up and run prototype hardware to answer new, difficult, and unique feasibility challenges.
Design and run reliability tests to maximize printer performance and maintain part quality over the life of the printer.
Perform 3D print process development engineering activities.
Provide technical information/reports as requested.
Promote an atmosphere of collaboration, innovation, and communication with internal and external partners.
Design for manufacturability, robustness, and quality
WORKING ENVIRONMENT /PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The work environment characteristics and physical demands are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of 3D Systems to ensure a safe, healthy workplace for all its employees. All employees are expected and encouraged to participate in safety and health program activities including reporting hazards, unsafe work practices and accidents immediately to their supervisors or Human Resources; wearing required personal protective equipment; and participating and supporting safety activities.
Education and Training
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Mechatronics
· 5 years of experience or more in product development.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Proven expertise designing mechanical parts and mechanisms
· Highly experienced with CAD is a must and preferably using SolidWorks
· Outstanding use of engineering principles for the design of mechanical solutions
· Above average PC skills including
· Demonstrated knowledge and/or experience with 3D products or similar industry products preferred
· Demonstrated knowledge and/or experience with bio technology is preferred
· Proven self-starter, good interpersonal and time management skills, and ability to work in a team environment with minimal direction
· Proficiency in designing, analyzing experiments, and making timely technical decisions.
· Ability to communicate technical data, issues and propose solutions to different audiences
· Flexible, resourceful, and able to work in a dynamic environment
· Ability to clearly communicate with team members, both locally and internationally
· Strong problem solving and analytical skills
· Very hands on individual
· Results oriented
3D Systems is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.
Primary Location : US-CA-San Diego
Work Locations :
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Type of Position : Employee
Job Posting : May 22, 2018, 1:01:09 AMRead Full Description