If you're looking to make an impact, work with outstanding colleagues and grow your career, ESI is the place to consider!
The Director of Technical Support Services reports to the VP of Engineering and will provide strategic leadership and direction to the Technical Support organization to ensure the attainment the operational goals outlined by the Technical Support Team’s charter. He or she will lead the technical support efforts for ESI’s customers with technical teams (management, engineers, and support teams) who are responding to service escalation requests by diagnosing, troubleshooting, and repairing one or more of the following: complex electro/mechanical equipment, sophisticated computer systems, software systems/applications, or networking and wireless networking systems by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Responsible for developing and implementing strategic plans for advancing the central technical support team to meet market demands, working within the financial plans provided by senior management.
· The primary roles of this function are to train and support field service and to act as the first line of defense to protect engineering from service escalations.
· Establish and maintain lines of communication with engineering management, design engineering and software development on design, reliability and maintenance issues.
· Service Escalations:
o Creates a dashboard for customer escalations and provides regular reporting to executive staff and other stakeholders.
o Directs the technical support team to create protocols to respond to service escalations, responding to situations where standard procedures have failed to isolate or fix problems in functioning equipment, systems or software.
o Identifies and evaluates fundamental issues, providing strategy and direction for the technical support team.
· NPI training:
o Directs strategy for training to support NPI knowledge transfer and ensure readiness of the Field Service organization to support NPI.
o Ensures that members of technical support team are current with the latest upgrades and/or new releases.
· Standard Product Sustaining: Establish and maintain service documentation to support product sustaining activities.
· Documentation: Ensure appropriate documentation is available to support and enhance the team, engineering partners, and customers.
· Directs and controls the activities of team. Has overall control of planning, staffing, budgeting, managing expense priorities, and recommending and implementing changes to methods. Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; project planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
· Administers the organization's policies through subordinate managers and directs and coordinates activities.
· Drives and reports on metrics to monitor and continually improve the Technical support function including but not limited to training and documentation effectiveness and escalation response closure time.
· Establishes budgets, short- and long-range objectives and criteria for monitoring progress and measuring success.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's, Master's, or PHD or equivalent; or up to 10 years of related experience, including 8 to 10 years management experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's degree and/or applicable certification is preferred.
Special Skills and Abilities
· To perform this job successfully, an individual should have excellent phone and computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
· Works with integrity and ethically and is able to inspire the trust of others.
· Strong business, analytic, interpersonal, and communication skills
· Motivated, self-driven, positive approach to problem solving.
· Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, rapidly changing, high tech environment.
· While the primary role is based in the US, regional or international travel may be required, sometimes on short notice in support of ESI customers. Requires appropriate work authorization to freely enter and exit primarily Asia Pacific countries. Primary consideration will be given to US Citizens and US Green Card Holders. Travel may be expected up to 15 - 25%.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. Please contact Human Resources if you would like to inquire about reasonable accommodations.
Electro Scientific Industries, Inc. (ESI) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state and local nondiscrimination law.