The BBC has one of the largest broadcast archives in the world and Archive Services are responsible for making this collection accessible and available.
We provide a range of new solutions and products for the whole BBC including the Digital Archive, Archive Search and Redux to maximise the reuse of our content and increasingly through next generation technology build new and advanced tools that will provide compelling content propositions while at the same time safeguarding and preserving our important broadcast heritage.
You will be part of a larger team who support a platform that powers BBC services reaching millions of people in the UK and across the globe.
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
You will be an experienced team leader, with full stack development experience, confident in your capabilities. You will lead the development team and work in collaboration with the Technical Architect to manage and deliver continuous deployment against our product roadmap.
You will also;
- Be accountable for the design and development of effective software that meets given complex, strategic business needs for immediate team and broader BBC
- Recruit, mentor and manage an effective software engineering team
- Ensure alignment of the teams products and services with BBC technology and architecture strategy
- Provide technical knowledge and insight to peers and colleagues
- Ensure the team’s approach to testing is fit for purpose
- Ensure integration of the software with monitoring and support tools
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Support product and departmental managers in communicating strategy and product fit and effectiveness to stakeholders at all levels
- Ensure the team’s software works well in its operating environment
- Ensure that the team’s technical product documentation is always complete, accurate and coherent
- Ensure troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Work with other technical leaders in the broader organisation to define, document and distribute best practice and standards
- Define, lead and encourage continuous improvement of the teams delivery and development processes
- Work with project, product leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at product and roadmap level
- Work with 3rd Party ("Indies") where necessary providing direction, support and documentation
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate
The Ideal Candidate
- Line management experience of Software Engineering Teams
- Experience of mentoring and supporting less experienced members of the team
- Leadership experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Expertise in choosing and applying design patterns
- Effective leadership and collaboration inside and beyond the team. The ability to influence diverse and senior stakeholders effectively
- Takes responsibility for driving products and system to success
- Recruitment, management and mentoring experience
You will be expected to be very familiar with technologies such as :-
- Extensive knowledge of AWS technologies, including S3, SQS, Lambda and EC2
- Highly experienced in agile development practices such as pair programming, Scrum, XP, peer reviews and continuous integration and development
- NodeJS & React
- SQL & NoSQL database technologies
- Testing using BDD & TDD approaches
- Git for code management
- GoCD or Jenkins for continuous integration
- REST based web applications
- Knowledge of SSL / TLS
- Linux or similar Unix experience
- Enterprise experience at scale is very desirable
- Elasticsearch would be desirable
Grade 9 (Proposed Band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
Multiple Positions Available
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.