The Cherry Point Technical Manager is accountable for leading their team to develop and execute best-in-class technical strategies which underpin the overall business objective to be Safe, Reliable, Compliant and Solomon Pacesetter in service of Fuels, North America and Global Refining. As the Technical Manager, you will lead a team comprised of Process Safety, Inspection, Process Control, Process and Optimization Engineering, and Process Design Engineering (project Front End Loading). Driving a culture of exceptional performance and engineering excellence in line with BP Group and Segment Engineering expectations is critical. As valued member of the refinery Leadership Team, you are integral to the development and delivery of the entirety of the Business Improvement Plan and Asset Strategy. As a Senior Level Leader within Fuels North America and Global Refining, you provide leadership across the entire business – leveraging best practices and sharing resources where appropriate. You are a role model for BP’s Values & Behaviours and Leadership Expectations. You create a culture of inclusion and meritocracy and are accountable for developing the next generation of leaders. As an ambassador of BP, you will have ample leadership opportunities to build corporate reputation and goodwill through service to the community.
SAFE, RESPONSIBLE and RELIABLE OPERATIONS
- Ensures that the workforce understands and manages risk to prevent accidents, harm to people, and damage to the environment, while achieving competitive performance
- Promotes a culture of ethical leadership through effective decision making, and compliance with BP’s Code of Conduct
- Provides strong leadership in an effort to foster a culture of execution, engagement, and teamwork
- Guides the deployment of work processes and resources to provide effective monitoring, troubleshooting, optimization, mechanical integrity and other technical consulting support to Operations and the business
- Energizes the technical team to identify issues at earliest possible stage and utilizes innovation and leadership to find best in class solutions
PROCESS SAFETY and RISK MANAGEMENT
- Leads the process safety agenda
- Fosters a culture that focuses on a risk management approach that delivers significant, continuous, and sustainable risk reduction
- Collaborates to identify business hazards, risks, and protective barriers using best in class tools and techniques
- Leads team to develop effective risk management systems
- Acts as a champion for Inherently Safe Design (ISD) and conducts the selection of the right technology and project scope to deliver business objectives
- Ensures awareness and compliance with applicable Engineering Standards and Process Safety policies and procedures
- Member of the Reliability Steering Team
- Core member and contributor to the Refinery Process Safety Committee (RPSC) and energizes the committee to implement best in class process safety practices
- Acts as the technical authority for Process Design while mentoring the technical development of department engineers
PROCESS OPTIMIZATION and IMPROVEMENTS
- Collaborates with Supply, Commercial and Refinery Optimization Commercial and Technical communities to drive routine optimization and longer term improvements in the areas of catalyst, energy, yields, throughput, process unit performance, mechanical integrity, and process systems optimization
- Guides the collaboration between the Technical and Projects & Turnaround team to ensure the effective identification, planning and delivery of projects and turnaround activity at the Cherry Point Refinery
RESOURCES and RELATIONSHIPS
- Organizes and prioritizes resources to effectively and efficiently work across departments, work within budgets, and simultaneously support the ongoing operations to deliver long term improvements for the business
- Builds relationships and coordination of external technology and engineering providers to ensure the continued growth and development of the Technical team
- Drive engagement with the Technical Managers Network for Global Refining and the underlying Continuous Improvement Forums (CIFs)
- Coaches leaders in the technical department on effective leadership and employee engagement
- Leads the development, performance management, reward, and succession planning to ensure that the Technical team members are developing into leaders for BP
- Collaborates with BP leadership to develop resources to drive problem solving, share, and incorporate learnings in regional and global interactions.
- Works to deliver a pipeline of energized, diverse, and highly capable process engineering and leadership talent
- Ensures the availability and access to high quality technical resources to support the technical development of the Cherry Point team
- Provides oversight for site-wide process engineering resources, including recruitment, training and career development
- Develops strong succession plans to build capability for the Cherry Point Refinery and BP
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering is required
Essential experience and job requirements
- 10+ years of experience in refining operations
- At least 5 years of experience leading a team in a manufacturing environment
- Well-developed leadership abilities with experience in organizing/building teams
- Proven ability to work in a team based organization
- Excellent coaching and mentoring skills
- Strong planning and control skills
- Skilled at leading teams, consensus building, and effective communication
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- Wide range of experience in Refining roles, including Maintenance, Operations, Commercial and/or Technical
- Experience establishing strategy for long term goals of a plant
- Ability to analyze and implement changes that result in improved efficiency, greater process throughput, reduced operating costs and improved plant maintainability
- Ability to effectively exchange information with peers, management and other personnel
- Collaborate effectively with team members and others to achieve production goals
- Experience building a learning culture of continuous improvement and sustainability
Yes - Domestic (In country) only
Yes - up to 25%
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.