Director of Software Engineering
GoPro makes it easy for people to celebrate and share experiences. We believe life is more meaningful when shared. We build cameras, software, and accessories that help the world share itself in immersive and exciting ways.
GoPro is a global movement whose business is driven by shared experiences. We celebrate diversity. We practice inclusion. We foster belonging. We demand equality. And we share the experiences of individuals and communities who also hold these values as core to who they are. From São Paulo to Munich, Silicon Valley to Shenzhen, we are dedicated to building a company that reflects and honors the diverse global communities where we live, work, and play.
GoPro is looking for a GM and Director of Software Engineering in Romania. This person will have a solid understanding of software development life cycles, combined with a passion for building quality software products, is strategic minded while hands-on and possesses proven experience in creating a best in class software organization that thrives on challenges to deliver best in class products.
What you will do:
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the software teams in Romania;
- Define and lead the culture for GoPro’s Romania development site;
- Manage development site and overall expectations pertaining to setting accurate schedules, costs and resources;
- Lead teams of software engineers, testers, and technical managers to build delightful software products used by millions of GoPro customers worldwide, including web engineering, e-commence, and QA;
- Lead by example, care for your team, and establish credibility with the quality of your team's technical execution
- Motivate and lead the teams. Attract, recruit, and retain team members. Provide mentoring and career development and succession planning;
- Drive continuous improvement through the strengthening of quality of the team, processes and systems, recommending appropriate skills, infrastructure and process improvements required to achieve business objectives;
- Gain and maintain an in-depth knowledge of all GoPro products across the ecosystem between hardware, software, firmware and cloud;
- Utilize fact/data driven metrics and communications tools to promote and manage the deliverables of the product teams, promotes cross-functional communication and ensures adequate information flow within the organization.
Skills we are Stoked About:
- BS/BA degree in computer science, engineering or related experience. A master’s degree is highly desirable;
- Minimum of 10-12 years of software engineering experience, and 5-7 years in a leadership position managing an organization of over 80 team members;
- Strong leadership skills that inspire team confidence and respect while motivating team members in a creative and effective manner;
- Shipped large scale consumer web, distributed systems, desktop, mobile and embedded systems products;
- Previous experience with product development and engineering in a distributed and “ecosystem” based environments where HW, SW, FW and Cloud-based applications must work cohesively and in unison to bring world class experience to customers;
- Demonstrable experience in setting up and operating an engineering organization that works across multiple regions and time zones;
- Capable of technical deep-dives into system design and code, with the ability to communicate with GoPro’s executive team on strategic discussion;
- Exceptional attention to detail, excellent problem solving, interpersonal communication and project management skills;
- Excellent English written, verbal and presentation language skills including the ability to interact at various levels of organization from the CEO to individual contributors;
- Self-motivated and experienced in dealing with ambiguity while performing critical project steps;
- Experienced in defining project prioritization and flexible to shift project focus based on business decisions and priorities;
- Ability to travel internationally. Position will require approximately 10% international travel.
- Live it. Eat it. Love it. – Two dedicated hours during your week to explore your passions and capture it with your GoPro;
- Get your very own GoPro (Mounts and accessories included);
- Discounted employee stock purchase plan;
- Competitive salary.
GoPro is an Equal Opportunity Employer.