Common designs, creates, and operates all-inclusive homes, bringing community, convenience, and flexibility to housing. Common members know their neighbors, have more free time, and the opportunity to transfer to any Common home across the country. Since launching in October 2015, Common has opened more than a dozen homes across New York, San Francisco, Oakland, Washington D.C., and Chicago.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day to not just think about ways to make city living better, but to activate on those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensuring our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Software Engineer to help us build software that will allow Common to grow from 500 to 50,000 members. This person will work with the Digital Product team and stakeholders from the finance and sales teams to build software that enable them to do their jobs quicker and better. Our ultimate goal is to take some really complex business and community needs and build creative and intuitive solutions to them with software.
You will spend some of your time around a whiteboard with the rest of the team discussing the trade-offs of normalizing a data model. You will spend some of your time interviewing the customers of the products you are building to determine the best ways to design or implement a feature. And, of course, you’ll be writing code and building these products.
- You are a T-shaped generalist with a breadth of diverse technical skills and deep expertise in one or two areas (e.g. domain modeling, payment systems, booking systems)
- You have experience designing complex relational database schemas and domain models
- You have designed, developed and/or maintained a production Ruby on Rails application (Sinatra or Django counts, too!)
- You are a stickler for code quality, style and process, including insisting upon well factored, well tested and thoroughly QAed code
- You communicate openly, honestly and kindly, knowing when and how to give appropriate feedback to people, both on their code and personal interactions
- You are comfortable designing and implementing both in a team setting (e.g. pair programming) and on your own
- You are a lifelong learner and eagerly interested in the craft of both personal development and software development — “it’s a journey, not a destination”
- You have worked in an industry with substantial complexity and regulation (e.g. health, legal, accounting, banking, etc) or consulted with these industries
- You built or integrated with payment processing platforms or transactions systems at scale
- You have experience developing booking systems and wrangling models with overlapping date ranges
- You have at least 4+ years of experience
What We Offer
Common offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance, Life Insurance and Supplemental Life Insurance, AD&D Insurance, STD/LTD Insurance, HSA/FSA, and Commuter Transit Benefits. Additional benefit such as paid vacation, paid sick time, weekly team lunches, office snacks, flexible working hours and more are also available.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability or any other basis protected under applicable law.