Imperfect is a produce delivery startup on a mission to reduce food waste and to make fresh produce more affordable, accessible, and convenient. We source produce directly from farms, which would otherwise go to waste, and deliver it to customers' doors for 30-50% less than grocery store prices. Since our start in 2015, our customers have saved millions of pounds of produce from going to waste.
Imperfect is more than just a produce box! In everything we do, we bring an appetite, lead with heart, embrace imperfection, and work to grow the movement. By working at Imperfect, you’re helping build a more sustainable and effective food system. You’re helping fight food waste. You’re ensuring farmers are rewarded for their full harvest. You’re improving access to healthy food in food deserts. With each curvy cucumber and misshapen potato, you’re helping shape our world for the better.
We're headquartered in San Francisco with operations in each of our cities: the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, and Indianapolis. Imperfect plans to bring ugly produce to Sacramento, San Diego, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis in 2018.
We're looking for folks who are positive, motivated, and ready to change the world. If that sounds like you, drop us a line!
About the Role
The Director of Food and Warehouse Safety will be the technical champion for Imperfect’s pack facilities across the country as we continue to scale. This leader is responsible for managing chilled goods quality assurance, sanitation and the safety of our employees in the facilities. The Director of Food and Warehouse Safety ensures that the pack facilities follow world-class food and warehouse safety procedures and packages food to stringent HACCP standards and specifications, and relevant food safety legislation. The Director of Food and Warehouse Safety will also provide training materials and motivation to team members across the business while ensuring best practices are incorporated and that sites are aligned in all areas of the technical function where practicable.
- Ensure that key KPI’s are established, measured, recorded, and trended, and that feedback is given to key stakeholders.
- Ensure that trends are moving in the desired direction and when they are not ensure that there is a clear plan of action in place to ensure corrective action.
- Ensure that all site KPI’s are aligned across the business — both the actual KPI’s measured and the level to which they are administered.
- Ensure that the monthly period report is completed on time and that all sites have the same method of presentation.
- Conduct regular one-on-ones with team members to provide honest performance feedback with regard to both technical knowledge and character development.
- Set clear objectives and review them regularly and honestly.
- Actively foster strong and lasting relationships with key members of local Health Departments, USDA, FDA, OSHA, and other regulatory and legal enforcement bodies as required.
- Take every opportunity to impart your expert knowledge and experience with your team members with a view to developing them to their fullest potential.
- Ensure that each site has adequate quality assurance management resource such that the operational needs of each business are not constrained.
- Ensure effective communications at all levels and completes all necessary administrative work.
- Ensure that yearly budgetary targets are met. Look for opportunities for cost-saving across the technical function.
- Set the timescales by which the company carries out maintenance audits and ensures that they get completed to schedule and are aligned across all sites.
- Be the quality champion and safety expert for all Imperfect products.
- Serve as a conduit between the headquarters office and local markets with product queries or concerns.
- Deliver yearly third-party food/warehouse safety audit(s).
- Ensure that local markets are all using the same measures to track progress against any third-party standard.
- Ensure that a HACCP-based food safety approach is followed.
- Ensure that the HACCP system is relevant, up to date, and reviewed as frequently as necessary by a trained multidisciplinary team.
- Set the GMP standards by which the facilities operate and ensure buy-in by gaining commitment across all functions.
- Ensure clean facilities via effective hygiene practices through the use of appropriate chemicals and methods. Track effectiveness of the sanitation function through a robust pre-operational inspectional program.
- Enable the facility to safely launch new items in a controlled manner by being an integral part of the team. Use technical knowledge to guide the launch process ideally without constraining the business commercial plan.
- Ensure that the quality assurance department controls all relevant facility-based process control sheets, photographic standards, and reference sheets.
- Ensure that any Health Department / USDA / FDA or other enforcement agency concerns are dealt with quickly and efficiently such that there is no interruption to standard business operations.
MC Waste Management
- Ensure that policies and procedures are in place to ensure the effective waste removal from sites and that waste is segregated into the different removal streams.
Skills and Qualification
- BSc. / MSc. in Food Science or related field
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in the food industry, with 8 years of experience in the Quality Assurance environment preferred
- Experience working in a chilled food-handling environment applying common processes, procedures, and equipment
- Good understanding of all continuous improvement production techniques
- Ability to apply new processes, procedures, and operational skills, and to follow established procedures
- Good math skills and conversion ability
- Must have a good understanding of English; Spanish-language fluency desirable
- You excel under pressure, with the ability to make calm, rational decisions on a multitude of issues within short spaces of time.
- You lead by example and always inspires others to be the best they can be.
- You exert a calming influence on your team and peers.
- You’re enthusiastic about your work and self-motivated to get the job done.
- You’re resourceful and when you don’t know the answer; you make it your mission to find out.
- You’re highly organized and have a strong attention to detail.
- You’re a problem-solver and have the ability to think on your feet (a|k|a, a mental juggler).
- You excel at independent, unsupervised work while also being a team player.
- You’re passionate about our mission to fight food waste.
Details of Position
- This position reports to the Head of Operations and is based in San Francisco, CA
- Domestic travel required
- Full-time exempt position
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and working hours as necessary
- Salary and employee stock options commensurate with experience
- Benefits include health care, vacation days, and free produce!
- Sedentary work; predominantly involves sitting most of the time.
- Standing desks and / or other ergonomic accommodation is available upon request
- Walking, climbing stairs, and standing are required only occasionally
- Regular work with computers, including keyboards, mouses, and screens; regular use of mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets also required
- Able to work at cold temperatures in a refrigerated environment
- Ability to walk, bend, squat, climb, reach, and kneel
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 75 pounds
Individuals seeking employment at Imperfect Produce are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.