Performs basic computer and/or network security vulnerability assessments to identify, evaluate and mitigate security risks, threats and vulnerabilities. Assists in integrating, configuring and testing computer and network security solutions to manage the network/system's firewalls and intrusion detection systems.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs basic vulnerability scans using vendor utility tools. Monitors security audit and intrusion detection system logs for system and network anomalies. Investigates and/or escalates security violations, attempts to gain unauthorized access, virus infections that may affect the network or other event affecting security. Documents and reports event(s).
- Assists in providing engineering analysis, design and support for firewalls, routers, networks and operating systems.
- Assists in performing product evaluations and recommends products/services for network security. Validates and tests basic security architecture and design solutions to produce detailed engineering specifications with recommended vendor technologies.
- Develops, tests and operates firewalls, intrusion detection systems, enterprise anti-virus systems and software deployment tools.
- Assists in the review and recommends the installation, modification or replacement of hardware or software components and any configuration change(s) that affects security.
- Assists in providing oversight and enforcement of security directives, orders, standards, plans and procedures at server sites.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field preferred
- Three or more years of experience in network, host, data and/or application security in multiple operating system environments
- Experience working with IP networking, networking protocols and understanding of security related technologies including encryption, IPsec, PKI, VPNs, firewalls, proxy services, DNS, electronic mail and access-lists
- Experience working with internet, web, application and network security techniques
- Experience working with relevant operating system security (Windows, Solaris, Linux, etc.)
- Experience working with leading firewall, network scanning and intrusion detection products and authentication technologies
- Experience working with federal regulations related to information security (FISMA, Computer security Act, etc.)
- Experience working with NIST Special Publications and C & A process methodology
- Possess security certifications (CISSP, CCNA, etc) and/or top secret security clearance
- Communication skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills to troubleshoot and resolve network/operating system security issues
- Ability to perform and interpret vulnerability assessments
- Ability to administer the operations of a security infrastructure
- Ability to balance and prioritize work