Kabbage is setting a new standard in big data and FinTech and we are looking for a Head of Data Science Modeling- Bangalore to join us as we continue our amazing growth trajectory. Kabbage is more than a lender for small businesses; our data and technology platform is now being used as a fully branded product by other lenders, and our products are growing rapidly. We’ve received numerous awards & recognition, including Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work, “36th fastest growing company in the US” on the INC 500 List, Fast Company’s "Top 10 most innovative companies in finance" and Forbes' "America’s Top 100 Most Promising Companies" among others.
As a Head of Data Science Modeling will help define the long-term lending data science modeling roadmap at Kabbage - driving adoption of best practices in lending data science and provide vision to bring in the latest developments in statistical modeling, optimization techniques and machine learning methods.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead a bold agenda around the use of transaction data in new creative ways
- Work with multiple, complex data sources at large scale
- Utilize big data and machine learning to build predictive models including but not limited to credit risk, fraud, and marketing
- Develop and mentor a team of data scientists to move the agenda forward
- Collaborate with Product to develop new use cases and expand the business in new directions
- Collaborate with Engineering to design the optimal data architecture for a new scale platform
- Represent the Data Science team in meeting with external partners and clients
- Build and launch the data foundations of our new products
- Perform thorough testing and validation of models and support various aspects of the business with data analytics
- Design, build, implement and test machine learning models and ship deployment ready versions into production
- Build frameworks to test various risk strategies and portfolio optimization
- Identify new data sources/patterns that add significant lift to predictive modeling capabilities.
What you should have:
- 10+ years of experience as a data scientist, with a background (MS or PhD preferred) in machine learning, statistics, bioinformatics, signal processing or related field
- 5+ years leading, hiring and managing a team
- Ability to successfully collaborate across key senior internal (Engineering, Technology, Product) and external clients.
- Ability to communicate quantitative and technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Proven ability to prioritize and drive product-centric machine learning efforts across a geographically distributed team of data scientists and engineers
- Bias towards results, with sound judgment and pragmatism
- Strong background/experience with ETL, data mining, statistical analysis, data processing with very large amounts of data
- Strong business acumen and ability to see the impacts of data at a very high level
- Strong intuition, ability to advocate for and ability to dig deep into data
What we're looking for in you:
- You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea.
- You know how to move data around, from a database or an API, through a transformation or two, a model and into human-readable form (ROC curve, Excel chart, map, d3 visualization, Tableau, etc.).
- You probably know Python, Java, R, Storm, Julia, SQL, Matlab, Mahout, or think everything can be done in a Perl one-liner.
- You have a bias toward action, you try things, and sometimes you fail. Expect to tell us what you’ve shipped and what’s flopped.
- Big, undefined problems and petabytes don't frighten you.
The Kabbage Advantage
At Kabbage, our people are awesome, so we built the Kabbage Advantage—our way of being awesome right back. We offer competitive benefits including unlimited PTO, equity in the company, and exceptional health coverage options. Our team members enjoy a dynamic work environment with daily catered lunches, fully stocked kitchens, and onsite fitness classes.
While our perks and benefits are generous, the people are actually what make Kabbage great. Kabbagers are curious, creative, and resilient. We are enthusiastic, productive, and problem solvers. And we don’t do it alone. At Kabbage, you will find low-ego individuals who work hard to communicate effectively and work collaboratively.