Research Engineer, Ocean Modeling
The successful candidate will work with an interdisciplinary team on ocean modeling and exploitation of sensor data in an oceanographic context. The work revolves around computational ocean modeling, inverse modeling, and data assimilation for ocean circulation and waves, and includes development of adjoint-based data assimilation algorithms and machine learning-based approaches. Duties include algorithm and code development, set up and execution of computational models/algorithms, and analysis of results. Additional duties include contribution to technical reports, papers, and proposals, as well as oral presentations and client interactions.
Auto req ID
Ann Arbor, MI
--U.S. Citizenship required.
• Requires a PhD in Engineering (e.g. ME, Civil, Aero), Oceanography, Geophysics, or Mathematics with 0-5 years of experience. Candidates with more extensive experience that is well aligned with the job responsibilities will also be considered, as will those with MS degrees and relevant experience.
• Strong analytical skills, a solid background in computational methods, and good oral and written communication skills are a must, as is a willingness to work on problems at the boundaries between traditional disciplines.
• Programming experience with Fortran, C++, Python and/or Matlab is required.
• Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems, parallel computing, GPU programming, and machine learning is desirable.
• Familiarity with operational models (e.g. HyCOM, NCOM, SWAN, Wavewatch3) and data assimilation systems is considered a plus, as is familiarity with microwave or optical sensor phenomenology.
SRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment will be subject to a background check.