MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM) is the technology, internet, interactive and mobile division of Major League Baseball. In 2015, MLBAM introduced Statcast, a revolutionary technology that tracks all movements on the field. Statcast automatically tracks every hit ball’s exit speed and distance, every fielder’s range, speed, and arm strength, and every base runner’s movement.
We are looking for summer interns to join in the continued development and evolution of Statcast. With a wealth of ground-breaking new data and metrics, we are looking for people who can analyze, validate and provide meaningful context around it. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone who has an interest in baseball statistics, metrics, and data.
- Undergraduates and Masters students studying Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or other relevant STEM degree.
- A self-starter that's highly accountable and will take ownership of delivering your work
- Ability/Desire to learn new skills and technologies quickly.
- Experience with R, Python or SQL
- Experience programmatically structuring and cleaning data, and not just analyzing highly cleaned data sets
- A strong foundation in probability, statistics, and algorithm development
- Understanding of statistical and predictive modeling techniques such as generalized linear modeling, decision trees, association rules, clustering, regression, machine learning, probability networks, and neural networks.
- Experience with numpy, pandas, and scikit Python libraries
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to spend nights and weekends watching baseball while monitoring Statcast data.